Why would this happen???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Turned off the hot tap in the bathroom this morning ( combi fed ). About 3 seconds later the flexy pipe feeding the hot tap went "BANG".. Water everywhere... Bathroom was renewed some 3 years ago by a professional fitter.

Any ideas other than bad luck with a defective pipe.
I would have hated it to happen when we where on a 2 week holiday. Just imagine the mess...and the gas bill....

Sponsored Links
My guess would be that it was either a faulty part, or it was stressed on installation and just gave way.

Is the hot tap a quarter turn jobby? If so, years of sudden flexing when the tap was turned off have given it more strain.

My guess would be that it was either a faulty part, or it was stressed on installation and just gave way.

Is the hot tap a quarter turn jobby? If so, years of sudden flexing when the tap was turned off have given it more strain.

Cheers Dan... No its just a standard tap with a turney handle on the top.
I did fit a longer version as I suspected it may have been under stress. Also it was a lot easier to fit !!

Sponsored Links
I wonder if a check valve or pressure reducing valve has been fitted to the cold water line. Is there a water meter on the cold water line?

It was probably all twisted when it was tightened
Check if the one on the cold is twisted

If you have a water meter or a non return valve stop cock.
The combi will have filled your hot pipework with hot water.
There will be nowhere for the water to expand into and the pressure
in the pipework will increase rapidly and the weakest point will fail.

A small expansion vessel on the hot pipework is good idea.

If you have a water meter or a non return valve stop cock.
The combi will have filled your hot pipework with hot water.
There will be nowhere for the water to expand into and the pressure
in the pipework will increase rapidly and the weakest point will fail.

A small expansion vessel on the hot pipework is good idea.

Now that you mention it there was an odd effect that did happen to this particular tap on one or two occasions in the past.
After using the tap for hot water, when it was turned off and the water stopped. If you then turned on the Cold tap and turned it off quickly the HOT tap would start to run water again. We now have to make sure the hot tap is turned completly off as far as it will go... Also when turning the hot tap off there was a "dunk" noise from the pipework !!

Was the tap that it was connected to loose to some degree? ie would move from left to right while opening and closing the tap a little?

The braided metal hose on that flex looks like it has failed through fatigue at that point.

Was the tap that it was connected to loose to some degree? ie would move from left to right while opening and closing the tap a little?

The braided metal hose on that flex looks like it has failed through fatigue at that point.

Absolutly NO movement at all.

was the braided hose rubbing on a tile joint or anything at the back of the basin? could be expansion and contraction causing it to rub against something? just a thought

The point to the overbraiding is to prevent pressure causing this.
There must have been some sort of 'damage' to the overbraiding or one hell of a pressure surge.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back