Bolts that you set in wet concrete

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm going to be putting in a concrete slab for a new floorless shed (in the next week or so, trying to get it in before any frosts).

The shed needs to be fixed to the concrete slab according to the manufacturers. Bearing in mind that any fixings would be at most 2 inches from the slab edges, I'd rather avoid drilling to put in anchors, especially as the concrete will only be a week or two old when I put the shed up.

As I'll be laying the concrete, I'd like to set some fixings directly into the wet concrete. I had a look at screwfix but all their fixings appear to be drill-then-fit.

What would such a fixing be called?

Sponsored Links
resin anchor :?: :?:

sorry re read you answer think you are making it over complicated the weight off any shed over 5 sqm will need little securing as the weight will be enough
remember you will have loads attached to the walls and roof you will only need say 12 small locating fixings so fixings in the concrete will be overkill and complicate the situation

Might be for security B.A.?

Short cut lengths of studding wiggled into the wet concrete should do. You fail to mention what the shed is made of, and what bit of it you have to fix to?

Sponsored Links
It's a shed that comes without floor as it's meant for use as a workshop. I'll be putting a lathe in so want something solid I can bolt it to (I'll use drill-in anchors at a later date for this, but it will be further from the slab edges)

The website of the place it comes from says the gable ends must be affixed to the concrete base (not sure why, perhaps it is security), however don't say how! So, not wanting to risk blowing holes in the edge of a new slab with frame fixings or drop-in anchors, I thought it best to fix fixings into wet concrete. Looking at the diagram, it appears the footer-plates of the walls need to be affixed.

I'll see if the local builder's yard has ragbolts, if not I'll use Deluks' suggestion of sinking in studding.

Cheers guys

its the extra hassle off getting the bolts in the correct place and not moving sinking in the concrete

then getting the holes in the exact place on the panels and be in line

its so much easier to do it afterwards :D

You could do with a length of timber say 3x2 with holes in the appropriate places to the shed panels, a sort of template for the bolts to sit in the concrete till it has gone off.

Put a bit of water pipe lagging round the top end of the bolt - gives you a bit of "wiggle room" to flex the bolt to fit the structure to, but make sure you still have enough bolt still set in the concrete. In the construction business they use some sort of cone for this - I've watched them "drop" a pre-assembled anchor plate with the bolts fixed inside their cones into a hole as they pour the foundation block for a pillar.

Have you considered using concrete screws? That way you don't have to worry about getting everything perfect in advance, and due to their "no expansion" effect you can put them in close to the edge without worry. Basically you drill a hole of the correct diameter, make sure it is clean of debris and then the screw/bolt is driven in with the specially hardened thread cutting into the concrete. Scewfix sell them

http://www.screwfix.com/p/multi-mon...ll-size-10-pack-of-25/41562?_requestid=811958

I personally am a big fan of them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back