Slow running kitchen sink - bad installation?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My mum lives in a council house and about 4 years ago they renovated her kitchen. Since about a year or two ago the kitchen sink has been running really slowly.

We've tried using the supermarket sink unblockers but that didn't help. I bought one of those cheap 3m long metal sink unblocker wire things, took apart the u bend and cleaned as much as I could. it was almost completely blocked by the nastiest smelling grey gunk.

The sink still runs incredibly slowly, I was wondering if there was a problem with the installation. I looked at the pipes that I couldn't access to clean and they seem to be laid almost completely horizontally.

Is this correct? I would've thought you need some angle to allow the waste to flow away.

Is this a problem for the council or should we call our own plumbers to clear the pipes?

Thanks All!!!

Sponsored Links
It was working fine for 2 or 3 years. It sounds like there's an accumulation of gunk in there somewhere, possibly due to the lack of fall.

Sponsored Links
Pour a couple of kettle full's of boiling water down the sink, this is normally an easy fix.

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back