Installation of a shower circuit

Could some one please point out to me that what I have done makes the installation more dangerous as my circuit is RCD protected, the water intake is connected to cpc internally (bonded), the shower in its design is IPX4, there is an IPX4 light fitting and the rad is bonded to the lighting circuit and the water pipes?

Sponsored Links
What you have done is failed to comply with BS7671. Simply put!

Regulation 701.415.2.

Supplementary equipotential bonding is required to connect together the protective conductors of each circuit supplying class I and class II equipment to accessible extraneous conductive parts, as listed.

Unless of course you are able to:

(i) Prove that all final circuits in the location achieve ADS in accordance with 411.3.2

(ii) Provide additional protection by means of a 30mA rcd

(iii) Prove that all extraneous conductive parts within the location are effectively connected to the protective equipotential bonding.

As a competent electrician you should really be aware of this
:confused:

What you have done is failed to comply with BS7671. Simply put!

Regulation 701.415.2.

Supplementary equipotential bonding is required to connect together the protective conductors of each circuit supplying class I and class II equipment to accessible extraneous conductive parts, as listed.

Unless of course you are able to:

(i) Prove that all final circuits in the location achieve ADS in accordance with 411.3.2

(ii) Provide additional protection by means of a 30mA rcd

(iii) Prove that all extraneous conductive parts within the location are effectively connected to the protective equipotential bonding.

As a competent electrician you should really be aware of this
:confused:

Myself and my QS are now aware of the fact that it does not conform to BS7671. That is why I am returning to protect the lights via a RCD. The question was could some one advise how my installation has made the location more dangerous, not weather or not it complies!

Myself and my QS are now aware of the fact that it does not conform to BS7671. That is why I am returning to protect the lights via a RCD. The question was could some one advise how my installation has made the location more dangerous, not weather or not it complies!
Reading the minds of the authors of BS7671 is rarely easy! It could be that they feel that, in the absence of dedicated local supplementary bonding, one cannot be certain that everything in the location will remain equipotential - e.g. the infamous villain who appears in the middle of dark nights and silently inserts bits of plastic pipe into the metal plumbing system! Whether or not, in a situation like yours, RCD protecting the lighting circuit makes a blind bit of difference to teh safety situation is an entirely different matter.

As I wrote recently, I think one has to remember that BS7671's default position is that supplementary bonding is required in bathrooms. Only if their list of requirements (which you could consider as 'arbitrary' if you want) is satisfied in full is that requirement waived.

Kind Regards, John

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Could some one please point out to me that what I have done makes the installation more dangerous as my circuit is RCD protected, the water intake is connected to cpc internally (bonded),

Are you saying that your water pipe is bonded to the cpc of the shower circuits?

Add this with

the rad is bonded to the lighting circuit and the water pipes?

Then you have effectively connected together all exposed and extraneous conductive parts within the location have you not?

I take it the main protective bonding was in place? If not I suppose you would have been well and truly screwed.

:mrgreen:

I did not install supplementary bonding to the shower circuit.
the water intake is connected to cpc internally (bonded)
pullhair.gif

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back