Making a "live" break in

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am changing my bathroom radiator to a chrome ladder one and want to have the new 15mm chrome pipes dissapearing thru the floor, where I will connect to the existing 10mm radiator pipes.

I have all my new pipework ready and just need to make a break in to connect up and was looking to do this without draining down the system.

I will obviously turn the syatem off well in advance but what else should I do to minimise the water loss?

Sponsored Links
In that case you can try a system "bung" - a searchof the forum should find plenty.

Alternatively, 10mm pipes are easy to freeze.

Sponsored Links
Cheers for that. Have been to B&Q and bought a bung kit £17 is a rip off tho. I understand why people use a carrot!

One assumes your not in the trade and cost is not a considereation, for a couple of hours you could drain the system, do the job and refill for zero expense.

Only use a bung kit when you know what you are doing and trying to save time.

Otherwise drain down, re-pipe, add X100, fill and bleed the system.

Andy

you can put a jacket round the pipe and freeze it, you can get the kit from any plumbers merchant. I've done it myself when I damaged a section of pipework while flooring. Just make sure you freeze a distance away from the joint you are going to heat

If the bungs are working correctly you should only collect about a quarter of a bucket at most before the flow stops. If you keep letting too much water out, you can drag down the sludge from the header tank which will clog up your pump. sometimes if the expansion pipe is slightly warped, the bung will not seal properly and let air past which means an airlock will not be created. I normaly get round this by holding a small piece of plastic bag over the hole before pushing the bung in. I will also help to shut off the radiator valves in the rest of the upstairs rooms first.

hope he hasnt got a primatic cylinder , could be interesting

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back