Electrics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have 2 dimmer switches in 2 seperate rooms. Dont know why, but all of a sudden lights would not work. The dimmer switches operate 4 spotlights each. The cables at the dimmer switch are as follows. 3 cables with 3 earths into one plastic terminal block, 3 neutrals into one plastic block,and the 3 brown wires. I did not note the original wiring of the dimmers, Yes I know, call me whatever. I replaced the dimmers with 1 gang 1 way switches. The problem now is in one room one of the brown wires is permenent live and I assume the other 2 are switched live. But in the other room there is no live in any of the 3 brown wires. When I turned the switch on with the live wire in both rooms come on, but the room without the live wont come on, on its own. So 1 switch is controlling 2 rooms

------------------------

email address removed, moderator 9

Sponsored Links
you assume wrong, 1 of the brown you assume to be switched live should be perm live, take 1 of them out and put it in with the perm live, if light 1 is perm lite its the wrong one

Thanks to dinopower. Not sure exactly what you mean. Number 1 room has 1 live brown out of 3 and number 2 room has no lives out of 3. How do I get a permenent live to number 2 room. No alterations have been made, so I am baffled to why there is no live to number 2 room.

Sponsored Links
But alterations have been made, you changed to switches

At switch 1 put known perm live into common, then dab one of the other browns onto common and see if the light comes on, if it does screw that conductor into L1, if it doesnt then its the perm live to switch 2 and put into common with the known perm live.

is that easy enough for you?

switch 1 has 3 browns, 1 is perm live, 1 goes to light (that should be switched live), the other goes to switch 2, put that one in the same terminal as the perm live, then switch 2 will get a perm live

But alterations have been made, you changed to switches

At switch 1 put known perm live into common, then dab one of the other browns onto common and see if the light comes on, if it does screw that conductor into L1, if it doesnt then its the perm live to switch 2 and put into common with the known perm live.

is that easy enough for you?

i think you need to go away yorkspark if you are encouraging working live.

Wind your neck in 17th boy, i bet your the sort of spark that has to isolate a whole db just to take the cover off because college told you so.

to the op, isolate then join known perm live and 1x brown into common then re-energise.
if light comes on then isolate and terminate the brown into L1 if not leave in common and place brown no.3 into L1, screw back plate, energise and enjoy.

Don't forget if the switch is metal, connect an earth to marked terminal on switch.

Wind your neck in 17th boy, i bet your the sort of spark that has to isolate a whole db just to take the cover off because college told you so.

to the op, isolate then join known perm live and 1x brown into common then re-energise.
if light comes on then isolate and terminate the brown into L1 if not leave in common and place brown no.3 into L1, screw back plate, energise and enjoy.

Don't forget if the switch is metal, connect an earth to marked terminal on switch.

Don't forget Safe Isolation.

t248297.jpg

Do NOT tell people to connect things up to see what happens as a way to identify conductors.

There's one way to find out what's what, and that is the right way, not your way.

You, I, probably he, and undoubtedly many others have probably done what you described in our time - but it is definitely not something that anyone should be suggesting in a DIY forum.

Kind Regards, John

Many thanks to all out there. Just to go over again. 2 adjoining rooms in a loft extension both had a dimmer switch and 4 spot lights in each room. All was wired in by same electrician. What I am asking is why is there only 1 permenent live out of 3 browns which I believe to be normal, but in the second room out of 3 browns, none are live. The only time the second room becomes live is when the first room is wired to a switch. Should there be a permenent live in both rooms in 1 out of the 3 wires.

Yes! As you have been told one of the extra brown wires in room one should be connected to the permanent live to give a permanent live in room 2. As you do not appear to understand basic electrics you should really contact an electrician, it should take him/her a few minutes to put right.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to reply. All comments have been taken onboard. As a keen DIY, electrics have never beaten me,because, prior to the loft extension, I did DIY. The loft ext. was done and I did'nt know what cable went where. I always isolate even to change a lamp, I won't say bulb or I will have every Spark replying that you plant bulbs in the garden. I have seen an electrician working on my Consumer unit with MCB's, with the power on, wow. Many thanks once again. Lights now working.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back