Cylinder won't stop filling up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've recently had a new boiler fitted. The plumber who did the job said that this didn't mean that the cylinder had to be replaced.

However, the cylinder now won't stop filling up and I have to keep bailing it out to stop it overflowing. It's a thermal store cylinder - image attached.

It started happening when the plumber fitted the pump overrun for the boiler, but he's disconnected this to see if it stopped the cylinder filling up, but it hasn't made any difference. He's tried adjusting various other things, and turning off the top valve, but it still keeps filling up.

The only thing left that he can think might be wrong is that the coil inside the cylinder has developed a hole in it, allowing mains water to keep leaking into the tank. But he's not convinced this is the problem, and he's reluctant to fit a new cylinder in case this doesn't solve it.

Any thoughts on the matter would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
At the very bottom of the picture I can see a red handled valve on the cold water inlet, close this valve and if this stops the cylinder from filling then it is indeed the coil that has perforated, as the cold water feed to the ball cock is already isolated in the pic, it looks like this is the most probable cause, I think its just a coincedance that this happened at the same time as a new boiler install I cant think of anything your installer could have done wrong to cause this

Why is there a cold feed directly into the bottom of a combi cylinder?
It's ever likely to keep filling as there's nothing to automatically cut the feed of water.

Am I missing something?

It's ever likely to keep filling as there's nothing to automatically cut the feed of water.

Am I missing something?

It feeds the coil at the bottom cold water comes out the top of coil hot
Through blending valve to taps etc.

If the taps are closed the water has no where to go so won't keep filling.

Sponsored Links
Aaaaah, so there are 2 coils. One circulating via the boiler, t'other feeding the taps. Right?

It's an Albion which are prone to this problem I have a Client who has had THREE in 8 years!! utter carp!! if possible i would replace the store with a standard unvented cylinder -unless your heating system design will not easily allow ;)

At the very bottom of the picture I can see a red handled valve on the cold water inlet, close this valve and if this stops the cylinder from filling then it is indeed the coil that has perforated, as the cold water feed to the ball cock is already isolated in the pic, it looks like this is the most probable cause, I think its just a coincedance that this happened at the same time as a new boiler install I cant think of anything your installer could have done wrong to cause this

Back to OP sorry that your question went a bit off topic there but if you follow my advice you will know if you need a new cylinder or not , as said earlier if it is an Albion sorry but most likely you do and they are expensive

Am I missing something?

Looks like a thermal store.
Coil is most likely leaking.

Back to OP sorry that your question went a bit off topic there but if you follow my advice you will know if you need a new cylinder or not , as said earlier if it is an Albion sorry but most likely you do and they are expensive

That is the third time I have given you the correct advice up to you if you take it

Yes try what Ian is telling you, and if it still keeps filling then precisely what else was done when the new boiler was fitted did he convert the system type?

I've recently had a new boiler fitted. The plumber who did the job said that this didn't mean that the cylinder had to be replaced

It depends,
What is the system type? Open vented or sealed?
What model is the Albion cylinder I can't make it out from the pic, is it a direct or indirect model? Because if the answer to the two questions above are sealed and direct then it is no good

Matt

If it was a sealed system the pressure would drop if there's a problem with the primary side.

If it was a sealed system the pressure would drop if there's a problem with the primary side.

lol how would that be a sealed system in that picture :D

Its the primary circuit he's on about
the store may be heated indirectly via a second coil connected to a sealed system

Its the Direct mainflow twin pump model matt1e.

With indirect the primary flow tapping would be much nearer the bottom.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back