Interlocking tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a roofer replace a cracked interlocking tile for me last week & the tile he put on looked like it had an inch or so at the top right corner cut out of it diagonally like this \ at the interlocking section. I queried this and he said it would be ok due to the 3 inch overlap from the tile above.
He put the tile on and i've since noticed that the tile above it isn't interlocking properly with the next tile and neither is the one to the right of the replaced tile. There is a bit of a gap. Would this be due to when he removed old tile?
I went on the roof today thinking I could just push the offending tiles down but couldn't shift them.
I've texted him to see if he can recheck it when he drops off the receipt but haven't heard back from him.
I'm concerned in case water gets in the gaps where the tiles aren't interlocking properly especially since part of new tile missing! Wish i'd said to him at the time i wanted a perfect tile. I'll take photos tomorrow and post them on here for any helpful opinions. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
It sounds like the tile that has been put on is not the same manufacture as the rest of your roof. ie. slightly different.

Here are some photo's:

The new tile is the 1st on the left of the really red ones and as you can see the tile above isn't interlocking properly with the next one. Also the one to the right of the new one isn't interlocking properly either (although not so apparent from the photo).

I have another tile (unconnected with this roofer) which isn't interlocking properly either (see below pic).
Should i be doing anything about this or will the roof still be protected from rain etc?

Well, the tiles are double pantiles of which there are 4 main manufacturers which have slight size differences but not much, hard to tell if they are different really, I'd be surprised if it did leak TBH though there is a chance wind blown rain could penetrate if the gap is too large. The tile not interlocking on the hip shouldn't let rain in either, reason for the lifting of the tile is probably that the tile adjacent is being pushed down at the hip. Not related but it would be nice to see dentil slips in the pans of the tile to minimise the mortar bed of the hip

Sponsored Links
Another thing i forgot to mention is that the bottom of the new tile has gone white. Any idea why this would be?

To get perfectly interlocking tiles depends on several factors - primarily they should be from the same batch, never mind the manufacturer, and the slaters laths that the tiles hook on to need to be completely flat and perfectly spaced.....nigh on impossible really!
A tiny piece of grit or 'snot' on the tile moulding will upset things a bit.
Personally speaking I think you have a sound roof up there with no particular worries - I wish mine was as good!
Tile discolouration is due to salts leaching out from the clay, and maybe firing at a slightly different temperature than the rest.
John :)

Thanks John, really appreciate your opinion and for putting my mind at rest. Wasn't sure if i was making a mountain out of a molehill!

Hell noseall I've hit the wrong button! Sorry :oops:
Of course the tiles are concrete...I must have had a senior moment :oops: :p

Forgot to ask, should i be asking the roofer to come back to see if he can get the tile above new one and to right of new one to interlock as i'm sure they were interlocking fine before new tile was put on? Or is it not worth worrying about?

Only my opinion Emma but if the new tiles are ever so slightly different, then any adjacent tile, either to the side or above is going to have a pretty hard time lying perfectly.
I think there's hardly any chance of your roof leaking at all - those tiles are much stronger and heavier than the slates of old and they aren't prone to moving.
Naturally, I'd keep an eye on the whole structure - especially after a gale -but you seem well aware of this anyway!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back