Extension of existing ring main

you have a ring main, so how do you know that one of the live neutral or earth cables havent snapped where the insulation has been stripped when the socket was screwed to the wall??

Sponsored Links
t236661.jpg

Does it look OK to you?

Given that there's a high degree of probability that we don't have code page issues on this site, can you justify why I should have to change my browser to override the font choices made by website designers just so that I can see characters you have no good reason to use?

you claim to be an "expert" here yet you appear to be unable to work out what the OP ( me) has posted here within in the context! ie if you read the complete post you SHOULD be able to understand from the rest of the post what i meant ( EIGHT SQUARE METRES!) even although your (or my) computer has not printed the EXACT English grammatically correct text!
FFS, we are on a DIY internet forum here, not completing an English paper for an advanced degree at Oxbridge!
DONT BE SO PEDANTIC! :evil:
missmouse, unless you actually want to look lilke a gormless t**t you really should pay more attention to who has said what.

And on a personal point I take great exception to inattentive gormless t**ts having a go at me because their gormless inattentiveness has led them to being very wrong.

It was not I who made any comment about how, or what, you wrote to describe the floor area of your extension:

If you were to actually bother to type 8㎡, it'd be a lot clearer. But I know it's difficult to learn how to use your computer.

The post of mine you quoted was directed at Monkeh, not you, and it was about the merits, or otherwise, of Unicode.

in that case, I apologise, ban all sheds, I was in fact directing the post at the person who made the original criticism. Im getting lost here as to who made which post, but Im sure the person who did will know! :oops:

"All I can do it to put my trust in the design AND TESTING regimes put in place by the car makers. "

This is amusing (or is it BEmusing?) You say you trust car manufacturers to design & build their products to 100% working standards ( airbags in particular I think we were discussing?) but you seem to imply you do NOT trust cable manufacturers to design & manufacture THEIR products to the same?
You think there may be a high resistance fault in a cable??? WTF?
Actually, it can happen. Somewhere on this site (or maybe the Screwfix one) is buried a post from someone with a photo of a piece of twin & earth cable, opened up to show one of the conductors broken and looped together to make a most unsatisfactory join.

And insulation faults can happen too.

I believe also that the issue of RCD functioning was touched on? Do you know what the data is for faulty RCDs?

The thing is, for anyone who is competent (i.e. not you) and who has the right test equipment (i.e. not you), and who understands the importance of testing so that they can legitimately certify that their work was safe (i.e. not you), testing takes very little time.

Im sure you have much more experience than me as Ive only been involved in the building trade for 18 years , but I nor anyone Ive worked with has ever in this time come across such a piece of faulty cable!
18 weeks, 18 months or 18 years - it makes no difference - you know SFA about electrical installation work.

this country has become clogged with overzealous health & safety "experts" such as you! I'm sure you mean well but where has common sense gone?
You tell us - you're the one who has lost all of theirs.

Sponsored Links
you have a ring main, so how do you know that one of the live neutral or earth cables havent snapped where the insulation has been stripped when the socket was screwed to the wall??

That wasnt what he posted. This is :
missmouse, I hope when your wiring catches fire and burns the place down, you're not inside. How do you know its safe? How do you know one of your new cables isnt high-resistance due to manufacturing defect?

SEE THE SECOND LAST WORD????? :rolleyes:

LOL! you still ignore what is posted & rant on about your own chosen subject!
Answer the points!
one person takes text out of context, another makes pendantic points about english grammar another makes comparisons to automotive SRS but fails to reply to any answers? ................
sh1t! how did the human race get to where it is today? :rolleyes:

I haven't ranted, i was concerned for your safety, but ho hum. 18 years in the 'building trade' and you have become an idiot, or were you always one? Anyway, i do not care and shall not be responding on your thread, which I may add is quite pointless and you have only stated how arrogant you really are, infact the original post by you was just a statement which warrented no response from anyone, people have been concerned for you and you do not care. Time wasting fool.

well thanks for your intellectual reply - name calling belongs in the kids forums. :rolleyes:

The example of airbags is quite apposite.

Of course they are not perfect, and of course they won't always work properly, but people have a high degree of trust in them because they know that the people who put them together did so to with a high degree of competence and because they know the people who put them together carry out testing.

It ought to be the same with electrical installations - people ought to be able to have a high degree of trust in them because they ought to have been put together with a high degree of competence and with testing.

Not put together by someone who thinks that testing to confirm that the devices designed to protect peoples lives and their property will actually work properly if called on to do so is the mark of an overzealous health and safety expert, and that the common sense approach is to ignore the wiring regulations and arguably break the law.

Ive just plastered over my new cables ( all in verticle & horizontal) as an extension of existing ring main. works fine! i aint involving the assholes at BC in th ecouncil as Im less than 8m2 of floor space! ( due to clever measuring techniques) boom! boom! :p

May I ask 2 polite and simple questions?
1 What did you think you would gain or achieve from posting this as an opening link?
2 What kind of response did you think you would/should receive?

Ive just plastered over my new cables ( all in verticle & horizontal) as an extension of existing ring main. works fine! i aint involving the assholes at BC in th ecouncil as Im less than 8m2 of floor space! ( due to clever measuring techniques) boom! boom! :p

May I ask 2 polite and simple questions?
1 What did you think you would gain or achieve from posting this as an opening link?
2 What kind of response did you think you would/should receive?

It's a DIYers forum, don't worry about it and don't take it too seriously.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back