Boiler pipe leaking - advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, here's another little job that I've neglected for ages (as you can see from the rust - oops! It looks worse than it is. I hope!)

As you can see, the... err, don't know the technical term... collar? is slowly leaking from both ends. What's the best/quickest/easiest way to stop the drips, assuming that the screws that secure the collar are as tight as they will go?

Thanks in advance,
Gary

Sponsored Links
You need to get a Gas Safe person out to sort that flue, if water can get out then so can fumes. Do you have a Carbon Monoxide detector?

No I don't have a CO detector - thought it was just steam going out that way. Is it that serious?

Yep, I would get yourself a detector ASAP anyway but also get someone qualified in to sort the flu ASAP, maybe that they will reseal it but I don't know about that.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that advice. I guess I should invest in a detector - never considered it really as the boiler is in the bathroom, it's a large room, well ventilated. But yeah, maybe I should pick one up.

Thanks.

The seal in the flue is faulty or the is water running down the flue for some reason. Leaking guttering.
Replace flue.

Seen this before a few times, in all cases it was the seal in in the 90 deg elbow that had failed, allowing the condensate to run down the inner plastic flue and instead of running into the condensate syphon / collector it is leaking into the air intake section of the flue and on top of you boiler (possibly inside the boiler as well)

You need to get a GS engineer out asap, a new 90 deg bend should sort things out, but he needs to check inside the boiler as well as the condensate is very corrosive

Thanks for that comprehensive response SandyLion. So it looks like I'm going to have to get someone out after all. Darn! Thought it was just a leaky pipe!

Thanks for all the replies guys, it's good to come to an active forum where people read and respond. If I think on, I'll post the outcome.

Cheers.

Oh, I should have added - though it might not make a jot of difference to the replies - that this only happens when the weather turns really cold outside. We can have the heating on in the summer without getting this problem. Is it just how the steam condenses on meeting the cold air outside?

might be worth mentioning not to use the boiler until the flue has been repaired too

Thought I'd post an update to this, to let you all know I'm alive and well and finally doing something about the problem!

First off, I bought a CO2 alarm soon after that last post - I read up on the symptoms of CO2 poisoning and thought I might have one or two of them: listlessness, fatigue, procrastination... I left the alarm locked in the bathroom with the boiler for a couple of days and got the all clear. So it appears that listlessness, fatigue and procrastination are just character traits.

Finally (today!) got round to stripping the flue down and yes, you were right - a bit of a botch job on the inner flue leading to condensate dripping into the outer flue. Fortunately, the outer flue was a botch job too, so most of the condensate ended up running out on the top of the boiler rather than running down the insides. Though there is now a bit of oxidization on some of the internal components.

So the inner flue is currently duct-taped together until I can find a more permanent method of repair - for some reason, the plumber hadn't used the pushfit fittings that I presume would have been supplied with the duct kit. If anyone reads this and has an idea were I might get a suitable 60mm pushfit connection, please let me know.

Well anyway, next time I have a plumbing problem, I know where to come - thanks for all the (correct) advice!

Why are you thanking everyone for their "Correct" advice when you clearly have not taken any notice you MORON!! you were advised to get a RGI in not to DIY Bodge the job yourself

I pity your family or anyone else that has to use that Bathroom with a Potentially Dangerous appliance operating you utter utter fool!! :evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back