Damp Proofing my Cellar

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All

Looking for some people who have damp proofed their cellar before.

We're looking to do this ourselves, not hire someone.
It is a small cellar just below the lounge, in a terrace house.

We don't want to go mad - we're not converting the cellar into a liveable space, just want to damp proof it for good storage (drumkit etc.) and maybe a tumble dryer.

Been suggested tanking, but not sure this would work.
Think maybe membranes are the way to go?

It's already got a concrete floor. Has got a coal shoot, perhaps make this an extractor?

So basically looking for any advice, either with products or procedure.

Sponsored Links
Hi,
Have you done any research on here ref. your question?

There are lots of recent posts and information on here that will give you a heads-up, and let you come back with more specific details about what you've got and what you are attempting.

Pics, lots of pics, are invaluable.

Do you have any building/DIY experience?

Hi,
Have you done any research on here ref. your question?

There are lots of recent posts and information on here that will give you a heads-up, and let you come back with more specific details about what you've got and what you are attempting.

Pics, lots of pics, are invaluable.

Do you have any building/DIY experience?

I personally have no DIY experience, but my father does and he will be the one doing it! Just looking for products at the moment.
We have seen a Newton Lath membrane, but it is quite expensive.

Sponsored Links
It really comes down to hoe damp the walls/floor are and how dry you want it. The dpm you linked to is inappropriate for tanking, its for use in a floor.

There are pretty much 3 systems.

Newlath and the other dimpled membrane systems, whilst expensive are pretty much foolproof and good for diy although maybe overkill if you only have very little damp getting in.

The render systems like Sika work OK provided there's not going to be much water trying to get through the walls. The problem with these is you need absolutely meticulous preparation so aren't great for diy.

Then there are the membrane systems like RIW but these require a block wall to be built up against the existing walls to sandwich them against the existing wall and hold them there, like the renders though these require meticulous prep etc but are easier than the renders.

Hi! Just reading this after researching damp proofing my own cellar.

Is the Sika waterproof slurry effective?

My cellar is damp when it really rains, but seems to dry out as the weather improves. Non of the damp parts are accessible from outside, so I thought the sika would be ideal? It's also stood unventilated and with the stairwell open to rain and the sump pump turned off so it would have been stood under a few inches of water for possible for few years. So hopefully will dry out further.

Thanks for any help!

Our cellar looks exactly like yours, we are being recommended Sika 1 render. My big concern is the brick is deteriorating fast and I want to halt that.
What did you do in the end?

jw52,

perhaps, start a new thread - posting pics of your cellar, and at ground level outside the cellar will help?

Sika 1 render will not work in the long run, and depending on ground water pressure wont work in the short run either.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back