Flu advice please!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I have a solid fuel range in the kitchen that i have been using regularly for the past 18 months with no problems. I burn wood and coal and keep it well serviced (swept twice a year). Now the property next door shares my chimney (i'm a middle terrace) although looking at photos on recent estate agents website in the past the fireplace has been removed in their adjoining kitchen.

Now its under new owners (3 days) and like i did, their having to batter it about a bit to get it into shape. However last night i lit the fire and the back bedroom (bedroom above kitchen) filled with smoke, this has never happened before. Immediately took steps to extinguish the fire out and put the smoke detector and carbon monoxide tester in the bedroom as back up overnight .The fireplaces upstairs are open but have never seen a fire and never will, decoration (with a draught) only!

I know i'm now going to have to take steps to get this lined before i light it again but cant help but think next door using a kangoo gun to remove plaster has dislodged something further up that has caused this to happen. Better it to go like it has than slowly weep without me knowing.

Previous conversation with my chimney sweep when i took my property on said it would be an absolute b*gger to line and sweep due to the bad bend at the bottom from the soot box to the fire (see photo) but it didn't need it. He said if you want it doing find another sweep, and gave a little chuckle!!

Now i'm in this situation wondered if anyone had similar issues with bad bends and how to get over them or am i going to run into this problem with other fitters? Am i right in thinking fitters have to be HETAS registered?

Sponsored Links
You will require a HETAS installer view before proceeding, and best practice is a HETAS installation.

It's doubtful that the flue is less than 45 degrees before it straightens up - a flexible liner will do that easily.

Why not attempt to visit next door and view their work at/near the shared c/breast? You are in Party Wall Agreement country here.

If the flue "worked" before and doesn't work now something ( dangerous ) has happened.

Good luck with hetas - they are all short course chancers who charge silly money.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back