What do you think this might be?

Sponsored Links
Probably supply to next door, quite common in terraced and semi-detatched properties. Looks a bit rough though and is that exposed copper at the top of the fuse on the far left? (dont touch it). If it were me i'd get the DNO out to give it the once over.

The 'exposed copper' looks like the red PVC insulation on the live core of the concentric cable. It all looks a mess and could do with sorting out. Also if the cable is a looped feed for best door it should be fed on the live unfused side of the cutout as if the fuse blows and there is no access available to replace it, it will leave the house it feeds off supply until the dno can get access to replace it.

Sponsored Links
Thanks

Im not to sure on the construction of these double cut out fuses anybody got a picture of one without the fuse in? I presume they are joined

Also two 100 A cutouts off the one cable, be interested in the thinking behind that.

Re the right hand cable, It just looked a bit thin to me , about the size of 1.5mm SWA - however it magically seems to turn into 25mm when separated - again any info on this would be great
Never worked with concentric cable

Yes that is not copper its the red insulation

Thanks

Known (to us anyway) as a barred cutout, there is a knockout point on the side of the fuse carrier to fit a short bus-bar between the two.

Rating wise the cable (2c.0225 - 25mm Copper) will be in the region of 150A so 2 x 60A fuses would not be a , though we can go to 2 x 80A, no different to a looped supply with the loop connected to the bottom of the cut-out. A bottom side loop would be our preferred method in anycase to remove access issues if the fuse feeding the loop operated.

Though unless there is a separate E/W whatever is at the other end will be TT earthing.

Looks like someone stealing electric to me, where does the cable go?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back