incompetent cooker connection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hey guys someone cut the power lead to the xooker socket and wired it straight into the back of my cooker. I now have moved out but need to sort it so the cooker switch works again. how do I connect the two wires, can it be done, is it safe, I have absolutely no knowledge of electrics lol much love

Sponsored Links
Why not get the person who did that to put it right?

Whatever it was they did - not really sure what you are describing....

Can you upload a picture of what the issue is?
As the description is a little vague. I am thinking that the cable at the isolator that then connects to the outlet plate behind cooker, has been disconnected, then a cable run directly from the isolator to the cooker....
If so stupid thing to do, but the cable between the isolator and the outlet plate could well still be in position, if so could be just a case of reinstalling isolator switch and outlet plate. Unless this cable had been damaged or become faulty, so then best tested.

thanks for replying, ill try and explain a bit better. my cooker was to strong and had to be hardwired in. the bloke who done it was an old friend but a bit of a cowboy. what he did (ithink) was he put in a new fuse in the fuse box, then he cut a lead behind where the cooker goes and wired it staight into the back of my cooker. the lead , I think lol was a single cable leading from the fuse box, under the floor and then through to the kitchen and up to a socket whick has a switch that says cooker and a plug socket on. ive disconnected cooker and am now left with a single wire thats in half. can I buy something to join em up will it be safe or not , thanks

Sponsored Links
So the output power of the cooker required a new fuse to be installed and the cooker to be hardwired to an outlet box behind cooker which was connected to and isolator switch with socket (CCU)?
Then a cable was fitted between the cooker and the outlet plate( this is not the switch with socket), you have then disconnected this cable from the cooker and there is now a length of cable left over, which for some reason is too short?

Did the guy actually remove a flex/cable from the cooker originally, if so do you have the output rating of the cooker (can be found on the serial plate, sometimes attached to casing of cooker or found on inside of door)?
and what size fuse was installed?
How long ago was this done?

The answer to this can be taken from the first post.

So get someone in that can do it I.E. an electrician.

i think what the op is saying happened is the 'mate' cut the cable feeding the cooker isolater and connected it direct to the oven thereby having no local isolation anymore

this wants repairing/sorting out correctly : ie get a spark in

I've read the posts several times and I have NO idea what was cut where or what has been done instead.

yeah what yorkspark said, can I not just buy something to tie the cables bk together again like a connctor block? thanks for he replys chaps

right cheers mate ill get what u said and see if I can work it out, can I not just strip the wiredown,, and just tie tge same colours together and rap em up in electrical tape and ththen hide it? I just need the light to come on when cooker switch is switched on as ive moved out and giving keys bk today, and if I dont get my 800 pound deposit bk im screwed

and when either you've killed yourself playing with ziggies or the house burns down as a result of your playing and the insurance company finds the "fault" you're even more screwed

Seriously, you've asked for advice because someone who might have known what they were doing has screwed up. You've been given good advice and now you are choosing to ignore it.

So now what you are saying, is the property was actually let to you and you have had electrical work carried out without the consent of the landlord? Which has now been left, not as let and in a potential dangerous condition?
If that is the case, I would as your landlord, be looking at the tenants agreement that had been arranged between you, and taking the appropriate action to rectify the work and charge you accordingly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back