Use on-board comms from Galaxy 2-12 to alart me?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Galaxy 2-12 alarm which has an on-board dialler/texter, but it seems that it's purpose is more geared towards dialling an Alarm Receiving Centre than dialling or texting me.

After much pondering over the instruction manual, it seems that I could enter my tel number(s) and have it call me, but it would "look for" handshakes etc to begin the communication.  When it didn't get these it would continue to redial until the 4 minutes or so was up, then log a comms failure.  Ok, so I'd get a series of calls from my own landline and therefore would know that the alarm had tripped, but surely I (it?) can do better than that?

It seems the text function could be similarly problematic.  ie it uses my landline to send a message to my mobile provider's "service centre" which then somehow deciphers this message and forwards a text to me, which might or might not be hours later.  It also seems that some of the service centre numbers change periodically, or some service providers have withdrawn that service altogether.

I understand that I could add a speech/text dialler for maybe £50, but as my panel already has the comms on-board can it be tweaked in some way to be more "owner alerting" friendly?  For example is there some sort of "magic hack box" which would communicate the alarm state to one of my old mobile phones, which would send me one of a choice of pre-made messages or something?

Any help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Nice small Galaxy but basically it's a professional panel designed to contact an ARC (Automatic Receiving Centre) in the way you have described, you will need an add on.

As per Europlex, there's not really anything you can do with the on-board comm's to alert you outwith its SMS function to an analog MODEM TAP provider. The TAP service will cost between 17p and 50p per SMS and with the Galaxy, you can have a few events sent for each alarm. There aren't many using TAP these days though.

With an Ethernet module, you can connect to an IP platform like SelfMon and receive SIA3 level messaging. This needs the module and has a low monthly service charge though.

Thanks for the help guys.

I'll go and do some homework on the ethernet and SIA 3 messaging, but it looks like I'll go with a dialler, if I go the comms route at all.

:)

Sponsored Links
https://www.selfmon.co.uk/

Cant recommend it enough, use it on my G3 at home. Set alarm and text has come through to phone before i've got in car and started it up in a morning. Costs next to nothing, only down side is you need engineer access to add ethernet module to panel and need to be a little tech savvy to get it all setup and running.

The Ethernet gives lots of event information and allows you to control the keypad too. Standard diallers are limited in the information they can send out.

You'll need to program the panel outputs either route you take.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back