oil stains on carpet!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Desperate tenant, needing advice on the removal of four week old oil paint spots on carpet. Each spot around a cetimeter in diameter. Tried spirits, scourers, hot soapy water, and various hand cleansers, and all to no avail. Landlord coming to veiw work imminently, and the wife is panicking!!! heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelllpppp!

Sponsored Links
this has worked for me. If you have a shop vac ready, it takes just a few minutes, but this is an important tool to have. Spray a mixture (50/50) water and ammonia with just a few drops of dish soap--spray on spot, let set about 1 minute, then suck it up with vac. If it doesn't work thoroughly the first time, repeat. should help.

Hi,

I had success in the past with the 'brown paper bag and iron' method.

I am not sure how well it will work with oil that has been there for 4 weeks, but it might be worth a try :-

1. Put the brown bag over the stain, with the 'dull' side facing down.

2. 'Dab' a hot iron on top of the bag - don't let any part of the hot iron touch your carpet. Continue this for as long as necessary (putting a clean part of the bag over the stain once it starts to 'soak up' the oil).

3. Remove the remainder of the stain with some carpet cleaner.

Good luck :D

Gary

PS - this same method works great for spilled candle wax too :p

If it were me, I would probably try applying paint stripper to an inconspicuous area of the carpet to see if it harms the plastic fibers the carpet is made from. Hopefully it won't.

Then, put paint stripper on the spots and cover with something like wax paper to prevent the paint stripper from drying out.

Once the paint is softened, then apply white spirits (also called "paint thinner") and press the end of a wet/dry shop style vaccuum cleaner directly over the spot to suck the loosened paint and white spirits into the vaccuum.

Repeat as necessary.

White spirits will evaporate completely without leaving a residue.

The active ingredient in paint stripper is methylene chloride, and it will evaporate completely without leaving a residue either. There may be some gelling agents in the paint stripper that you might need to clean up with white spirits or water, tho.

Sponsored Links
Talcum powder is also really good at removing oil spots. Put a good dollop of it over the stain. Rub it in with your fingers and leave for about 10 minutes vacuum up and if still there, repeat.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back