Sound proofing my airing cupboard with a new water pump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I am really stuck and not sure what to do. So I thought I'd give this forum a go.

The pressure in my bathroom was really poor, so I was adviced to put in a new shower pump. So I put in a stuart Turner s2.0 bar twin pump. This was fitted in the airing cupboard and although I happy with the pump it is a little noise and is connected to the entire water system.

The problem is the noise. I have my 3 year old daughter room next to the bathroom. And I another baby on the way in the next few months and I am really concerned with noise, especially early morning.

I have been advised by the plumbers who fitted the pump to (a) drill holes and install a vent at the back the airing cupboard - will this cause more vibration , and (b) change the airing cupboard door with and fire door.

Has anyone got any experience of to minimise noise from the water pump or are the above suggestion sufficient.

Any advice is appreciated

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You'll strugglew.

We fitted a ST pump for a customer in a cupboard full of shoes, with a big heavy door.

It was too noisy.

We bought a load of expensive heavy duty sound proofing materials made from recycled car tyres. Made a big box, lined it with this stuff (did I say it was flirking expensive?), vented the box and made a solid base out of more of this material (which was flipping pricey I don't mind telling you) and a stone slab.

Customer still wasn't happy.

In the end they had the system converted to a mains fed type - so no pumps.

Stick a concrete block to the floor with pads of silicone, then stick the pump to the block on pads of silicone, make sure no part is touching any wall, this will help sound / vibration but it will always be noisy,

Thanks Dan_Robinson. just a follow up question regarding the vent you constructed in my your project.

Did you use any special material for the vent, or was it just a normal plastic gill.

My concern is I we drill a hole and add a vent, will this add more problems .

Would appreciate your views.

Sponsored Links
Vent holes were purely for cooling air and heat dissipation I'm guessing?

One thing I didn't get though.

The insulation you used Dan, was it expensive? :p

OP: pumps will always have an inherent noise, no amount of sound proofing will change that unless you want to spend seeerriioouusss money. even then it'll never be silent. (see Dan's posts)

All the above suggestions are valid but it will always be trial and error. It depends on how quiet you want it against how much power you want in your shower.

Vibration is one factor but the pump will always make a noise which will always echo and be amplified by dead space.

It was a tad dear. Just looked up the job and extrapolating from the details that stuff was about £70 per square metre.

Flipping heavy too.

Dan. Can you recall the materials nsme ir the company you used to build the vent.

I did the vent holes with a 25mm auger.

Lord knows what the stuff was called, but googling acoustic dampening or acoustic isolation material should find it.

It is made from recycled tyres and carpets from memory.

I reduced the noise in the back of my van by fixing carpet tiles up with double sided tape it made quite a difference. Carpet tiles are easy to work with but ordinary carpet would work just as well, you might need another type of adhesive maybe blobs of copydex. As long as there is nothing that could overheat to the extent of being a fire risk.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back