vulcan continental. pilot on, fire's, hw but no ch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have moved into a house and the is one of these old floor standing boiler, is working but in two of the rooms the read was not heating so I removed the Sir from all bit two of the rads and since then I have no central heating. The hour water works fine so the pump is working. Would air in the read stop the ch?

Sponsored Links
Hmm you might want to proof read that and re-type it...

I'm going to take a punt and guess at a blocked cold feed, but really it's hard to say unless you rephrase what you've written as it is very hard to understand

The hot water will be on gravity (no pump required) the heating is on the pump. so its either the time clock, room stat or the pump. this boiler is approx 40 years old :)

Check the F&E tank (usually in the loft) it is the smaller of the 2 tanks, theball valve may be stuck up leaving the tank empty a wiggle on the ball valve arm should do the trick! ;)

Sponsored Links
This is a old and inefficient boiler.

When moving into a new home I always recommend that the boiler is serviced and controls checked and explained.

Tony

Apologies for not providing clarity in the initial message, was sending it via my phone between managing the kids with their homework and dinner.

We are planning to do some works in the house and the boiler is expected to be replaced sometime soon.

There is a pump fitted to the boiler, with a switch 1 to the left, 2 to the center and 6 to the right. When I moved the switch from 2 to 6, the rad's began to heat.
The heating was working before, Only after removing the air from the rad's did this issue occur. I was unable to remove air out of two of the rad's due to the square shape is actually gone round so the key just turns. any pointer's how I can get around this would be appreciated.

Any ideas why the pump was not powerful enough at 2 any more would be appreciated.

Could the pump be old?

Could the pump be sludged up?

The brass rad keys are made from a circle with the corners cut.

The zinc alloy ones are moulded to an exact square. One MIGHT turn the nut.

I succeeded with one yesterday!

Tony

Could the pump be old?

Could the pump be sludged up?

Tony

The brass key is virtually new. It's the nut on the rad that is worn. I also tried it with nose (pointed) pliers but not enough space available for any real grip.

You don't seem to have read ( or perhaps understood ) what I wrote!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back