Best way to join estate agents?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I'm starting to do a few plumbing jobs and was hoping I could get some advice on how to set up business, generate work etc. I'm thinking of joining several estate agents and was wondering if I could get some advice on how to go about doing this? Do they recruit for maintenance workers or is it better off contacting them directly offering maintenance services?

I know some lads say its better not to work for estate agents due to the hassle, but I was hoping it would be a good way to gain experience on a wide range of smaller plumbing maintenance type jobs

Sponsored Links
Send all estate agents in your area a CV of all the work you cover and an hourly price.

Andy

It is a good way to gain an awful lot of experience being called out all hours of the day and night---------------- and not get paid for your effort.

Pete

Sponsored Links
In my early years I was stung and messed about by different agents. None of my colleagues will work for them and those who have gave up after a few months.

As Andy mentioned if you provide your terms of contract that protects you and detail that the Agent is employing your services not the landlord and that they have to pay no matter if the landlord fails to or disputes.

That way you have a chance of getting paid.

Pete

Some estate agents are notoriously bad payers both in time taken to release funds and rates.

That's my experience.

Tried going around my local estate agents.
All I got was "oh we already have people on our books for that"

Sod em.

Make up a flyer and have an address book on your computer and email every estate agent.

You can have an offer like:
Special Offer, All Boilers Serviced in October for £55.00

Make sure you email the lettsings side of the agent.

Once you have an address book set up, you can then type up a flyer say at Christmas time giving your working hours and any special offers.

Andy

try ringing round a few local ones say you have a property you are going to let then ask if they have plumber or heating engineer if so ask what they charge hrly rate etc for certs etc so you will have a rough idea of what the opposition are charging, then send flyer/ email & under cut them if you can

If it is Estate Agents/Letting Agancy types, then i hope you enjoy finding no-one in at the appointed time, and hearing the phrase 'come here to collect & return the keys' (the time taken to be at your expense). and 'you'll have to wait until the owner gives us permission' and 'we did not ask you to do that' (we will not pay you...)

Gave up working for them years ago, best of british to you.

DH

Estate agents bit like bankers all suffer from the "Rhino" syndrome , eager to charge

get in with estate agents better have an overdraft facility to tide u over while u wait to get paid .u may have to bend over & lube up :)

I've done several jobs for this estate agents i'm working with and they have paid me for all the jobs straight away as soon as I gave them the invoice.

Are there any estates agents I should avoid? Any known names to be avoided like the plague?

The Estate Agenst i have delt with have all be B****s TBH they are very quick in getting you out at all hours, but 60 days later when you haven't been paid, they never seem to remember calling you out in the 1st place!!!
my advice?? AVOID!! ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back