Is a 7 year old ideal icos really not worth repairing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'd really appreciate some advice here. I have a 7 year old Ideal icos he15 boiler, with continuing F/L failure to light issues. It will run fine when just asked to heat the water tank, but fails after a short time when the central heating is requested. So, from that I assume it starts fine when cold, but wont re-light when warm (ie repeated start/stop of the central heating duty cycle upset it).

My repair man tells me it's an awful boiler, and I should replace it for a cost of a few grand. Is this really the case?

I've persuaded him to try repairs, so far spent a few hundred on new spark generator, detection electrode, leads, and we're just ordered a PCB....

Other post on here suggest that the issue can be fixed, and could be any of the above or the gas value.

What's your advice? Keep pushing on with this? Or time to give up and invest in a new boiler?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
yes the issue can be fixed but it sounds as though your engineer is going down the correct route but these are very poor boilers, if you dont have the newer PCB I would have swapped that first, you have got 7 years out of it and if you can afford it I would change it but get something decent this time, you have learnt that with boilers if you buy cheap you buy twice

Sponsored Links
That is soo Funny!! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: (It's a p**y Ideal - this week alone I have fitted two PCB's BOTH FAULTY OUT OF THE BOX!!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :evil:[/quote]

It might be that dodgy supplier :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

But then the coffee's free

Steve

If it is a fault that is easy to produce then it should be able
to find the fault. You are going about the the expensive way.
Call ideal and take their fixed price repair they can afford
to throw as many parts at it for the cost of the fix price repair.

It might be that dodgy supplier :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

But then the coffee's free

Steve

I do feel sorry for our Dodgy supplier!! - both parts new out of a seal Ideal box, 1st one had "corrupt software" the 2nd one just refused to do anything - of course having diagnosed a faulty PCB and then fitting a new one, only to find same/similar fault you do start to question yourself!!
Bl***y Ideal Boilers!! :cry:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back