Forgot to ask Plumber if it was per half hour or fix rate??

Sponsored Links
Turns out, £64 every half hour, someone told me it would be below £100 yesterday, now there telling me. their not sure!
Didn't you say that's what your plumber told you when you said your limit was a hundred quid?

Your name is DIYHELP yet you appear to be doing no DIY

You're asking help on a DIY help site yet its not for DIY

What you need to do is find a site that deals with getting work done very cheap by someone else. Try moneysavingexpert?

I cant believe you have started 3 threads regarding swapping a tap WHEN YOU ARE NOT EVEN SWAPPING A TAP.

For your D-ail I-t Y-ourself problem

1-Ring plumber (recommended if possible)

2- Agree a price estimate/hourly rate (remember he cant/wont give you a solid fixed price without seeing the job... would you?)

3- LET THE NICE MAN DO HIS JOB WITHOUT WORRYING ABOUT THE PRICE

If its such an easy job that you cant possibly have to pay more than £10 for why are you not doing it (YOU CANT/ MUM WONT LET YOU)

Also if you pay somebody £50/hr do not imagine they are putting £50 in their bank. Advertising, Van, Insurance Van/PL, Diesel, Tax, VAT are all to come out of that) + IT IS THEIR JOB THEY HAVE TO LIVE ON THEIR MONEY, THEY AINT A CHARITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ps hope you get your taps swapped and you are very happy with them, hugs and kisses xoxoxox :p

Sponsored Links
)

Also if you pay somebody £50/hr do not imagine they are putting £50 in their bank. Advertising, Van, Insurance Van/PL, Diesel, Tax, VAT are all to come out of that) + IT IS THEIR JOB THEY HAVE TO LIVE ON THEIR MONEY, THEY AINT A CHARITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

To be fair to the confused soul, he is now, apparently, being quoted £64 per half hour. That is a little steep, even taking expenses into account. It is up to the plumber to set his own rates, but he did say it would be no more than £100 total.

Apparently.

)

To be fair to the confused soul, he is now, apparently, being quoted £64 per half hour. That is a little steep, even taking expenses into account. It is up to the plumber to set his own rates, but he did say it would be no more than £100 total.

Apparently.

He is welcome to ask another if he feels its steep. It is impossible to be ripped off when you are told the price upfront as you have the choice to say yes or no. The plumber said his price (which is high hats off to him if he gets it regular) but the OP coud ask another, and another, and another and another untill the bloke from the pubs, dads, mate who sells dogs, brothers wifes bestfriends son will do it for a crisp £10 and bag of golden virginia....

good point its Saturday so a good price (I lose track of days, just been informed its my birthday on Thurs... hadnt even noticed)

)

Apparently.

He is welcome to ask another if he feels its steep. It is impossible to be ripped off when you are told the price upfront as you have the choice to say yes or no. The plumber said his price (which is high hats off to him if he gets it regular) but the OP coud ask another, and another, and another and another untill the bloke from the pubs, dads, mate who sells dogs, brothers wifes bestfriends son will do it for a crisp £10 and bag of golden virginia....

I'm not going to get into a slanging match, but I DID SAY it is up to the plumber to set his own rates, but he (apparently) was told the max the OP could afford was £100, and he (apparently) said it would be less. I have used a lot of (apparently)s in an effort to indicate that I am not sure that the OP does know what and wasn't said (remember the confused comment?). But, NGI, you commented on a plumber charging £50 per hour, and I was pointing out that it was actually £128. That may or may not be reasonable in London, I hadn't noticed the location, but communication is critical.

At the end of the day, the plumber is the professional and in business. It is up to all of us to TRY to avoid misunderstandings, by being clear to a punter on how and what we charge.

Being an open forum , I won't comment on another consideration in this respect ;)

By the way, do we know if the taps were fitted?

Hi firemanT hope you didnt think i was having a go at you mate!!! I know what you meant and it was a fair point :LOL:

Oh and yes the taps got fitted, his mother got sick of waiting and did it herself

For £64. I would hope not to find, the taps to be 40 years old, welded into the holes on the cast-iron bath with 'red-lead' putty, the overflow to similarly fixed in place, with a bath panel of asbestolux, with tiles up to and over three sides. Stop-tap not to shut-off, (bath is the lowest draw-off point), gate valves not to hold, with a basin&pedestal 6" away form panel, with 10 years of dog fur coating everything on the floor (good job dust-sheets work both ways - eh lads? )

"and while you are here, could you just...."

And that is why I give an hourly rate.

Did I forget the panel fixings to be painted or even better tiled over?

DH

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back