please help with this corner gap - pic included

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

The corner in our shower enclosure hasn't been tiled very well. I think that whoever did tried to cut corners (!) by fitting 3 whole widths and accepting there would be a gap, instead of fitting 2 whole widths and 2 halves if you see what I mean. He filled the resulting gap with something or other but cracks have appeared so I've started chiselling it off. I'm left with a 15mm gap. Is there a way of bridging this effectively without retiling completely? Behind the gap is the end of a plasterboard sheet on one side and void on the other. See pic below. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
silicone is perhaps the only option, looks like he used a bucket load of that at the bottom too.

The plasterboard should have been tanked before tiling, to be honest that whole job just looks like a recipe for leaks so i'd view any fix as a temporary one

Thanks. What looks like bucketloads of silicone at the bottom is just masking tape I put on the silicone bead to protect it while I was chiseling off the grout in the corner. The problem with applying silicone along the vertical gap is that there isn't much for it to hold on to, no?

Is there a solution other than taking the tiles of and tiling again starting in the corner?

The tiles aren't lined up very well, if it is an option I would get the lot done again, and then you can use Wediboard or similar, and ensure a long lasting, leak free solution!

Sponsored Links
yep even silicone isn't going to last.

if you do take the tiles off, tank the area behind before tiling or replace with cement backer board

Thanks. Well it looks like I'm now beyond applying a bead of silicone :eek:

I consider myself to be a fairly competent DIYer once I know what to do. In this case I could definitely do with some advice with rebuilding the bottom bit. Some of that cardboard sandwich stuff that you can see in the pic was rotten. What is it anyway? Can I build back up to the same level as what's still there using backer board and then tile over? I'd rather not take away any more as this wall is a partition between the shower enclosure and the rest of the en suite. Any help much appreciated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back