When switch is ON there is no current through switched......

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When switch is ON there is no current through switched live wire? I cant seem to find the fault...please help...?

Thank you in advance.

Sponsored Links
Hi riveralt,

The light was working fine...but then it just stopped...I changed the dimmer light switch to a new one thinking it was that but still no joy.

So I checked the connection in the wiring in where the light is and I tested it using an electrical screw driver to see if when the switch is on and there's no current running though...

Its the old wiring where there are 3 red live wire blocks in the middle, 2 Black wire block on the left and 1 Live switch wire on the right. The light Brown wire is connected on the right hand side in the same part as the Black Live wire is and the Blue is connected to the left where the 2 Black neutral wires are...So I am assuming when the switch is on the Black Live wire should have current running through it to make the lights work and not when the switch is off...?

I tested it using an electrical screw driver to see if when the switch is on and there's no current running though...
These things should really be confined to the bin - they're not much good as a screwdriver either.
I take it you didn't just decide to do this for the sheer fun of it - so one must assume that the lamp for this switch is not operating.
I assume you have checked the bulb and found that it is working.
I take it you have not altered anything on the circuit and that the conductors have proper contact with the terminals in the switch (insulation not caught in terminals - for example).
If all this is true then it is possible that your switch is broken - swop it for one that you know works.
Note that sometimes switches do stick and it is worthwhile flicking the switch several times to see if this frees it up.

Sponsored Links
Hi riveralt,

The light was working fine...but then it just stopped...I changed the dimmer light switch to a new one thinking it was that but still no joy.

So I checked the connection in the wiring in where the light is and I tested it using an electrical screw driver to see if when the switch is on and there's no current running though...

Its the old wiring where there are 3 red live wire blocks in the middle, 2 Black wire block on the left and 1 Live switch wire on the right. The light Brown wire is connected on the right hand side in the same part as the Black Live wire is and the Blue is connected to the left where the 2 Black neutral wires are...So I am assuming when the switch is on the Black Live wire should have current running through it to make the lights work and not when the switch is off...?

As stated above, those screwdrivers are hopeless at finding any sort of fault.
If they do test anything, they test for voltage, not current.

To have any hope of finding what may be wrong, you'll need a multimeter (from about £8 from many stores) or a proper 2-probe voltage tester. Something like this .

Hi Taylortwocities,

thank you for your reply...I was thinking of getting one which I do tomorrow.

Riveralt....thanks again for your reply...I think the next step is to change the whole Terminal block as I think its too old and not conducting properly...!!!

...Any further advice please guys...???

My advice, test before you change ANYTHING. The terminal block will be conducting, it's a chunk of copper, how could it wear out?

More likely a broken wire or loose connection.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back