Cut Roof Construction

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Brickwork is well advanced on my domestic extension and I'll soon be looking for a carpenter and roofer to put the top on.

The design is for a tiled pitched roof with a vaulted ceiling (so preformed trusses are out of the question). Assuming that the carpenter & roofer are different tradesmen, can anyone help me to understand better who should be doing what?

Is it usual for the bricklayers to fix the wallplate? Obviously, the carpenter will construct the roof structure: the rafters & other timbers, and I would expect that the roofer would fit the felt, battens & tiles, but who would normally handle the insulation, and would whoever does that normally expect to also fit the ceiling plasterboard, or is that a separate job for a plasterer? I also have velux windows to be installed and I assume that the carpenter would fit them, along with the flashings? Who fits the soffit/fascia and gutterings - or is that usually a separate job?

I'm not looking for any guidance about how any of it is done (I assume that the relevant tradesmen know what to do!), but I'm just trying to sort out the sequence of works and who does what, so I have a clear basis for seeking quotes, and make sure that someone does all that is required.

Sponsored Links
I'm not looking for any guidance about how any of it is done
And there I was thinking this was a DIY website. :rolleyes:

The DIY element, here, is project management & financial control. But overall, I will have put in more hours than the engaged tradesmen on practical tasks too.

I asked for help: don't give it if you don't want to.

normally builder would put wall plate on then joiner fits roof timbers, trims all rafter ends and fits fascias soffits and guttering and frames out for velux windows then roofers would come and felt batten and tile and do all relevant lead work if you have a good roofer then he will be able to fit velux and flashing kit or joiner if you are more happy with him doing it then when its water tight fit insulation and plasterboard inside your builder would normally have included this in the price then the plasterer would be last to skim :)

Sponsored Links
The DIY element, here, is project management & financial control. But overall, I will have put in more hours than the engaged tradesmen on practical tasks too.
Good for you!

Do you have a design drawing for this roof?

... when its water tight fit insulation and plasterboard inside[. Y]our builder would normally have included this in the price then the plasterer would be last to skim :)

Thanks, but in my case there is no 'builder' undertaking coordination of the whole job, which is why I'm seeking clarification of who (ie which trade) does what and in what order. Obviously, the roof structure has to be built before it can be insulated, but is fitting the insulation normally a job for a roofer (you wouldn't do it until you were weatherproof?), or does it lie within the competence of the plasterer who will fit the plasterboard and skim to complete the internal finish?

You've been watching too many sill Grand Design shows.
If you were competent you wouldn't be asking.
Just get a firm in that quotes you for the whole job so you can't make a fook up.

It would be foolish to fit the inso' at the same time as the roof because the electrician will end up ripping it all out when he does the first fix.

You could ask the plasterer to fix the inso' as this will be done just prior to fixing the plaster-boards.

There is an element of design to this part of the build so you will have to monitor as to how they deal with gaps, foil taping, VCL etc.

Having a clueless project manager, managing a project, seems a bit risky to me. Blind leading the blind...?

Blind upsetting tradesmen with decades of experience. They'll let you sink mate. Trust me. :cry:

You've been watching too many sill Grand Design shows.
If you were competent you wouldn't be asking.
Just get a firm in that quotes you for the whole job so you can't make a fook up.

And there's ME thinking that this was a DIY forum.

I don't watch Grand Designs, and mine (and it IS my design, although I have had the plans for PP & BC professionally drawn) is really very modest, and the project is coming in on time and under budget.

I'm only interested in honest and helpful tradesmen (the majority, probably), and it really isn't difficult to spot the types (over represented here, seemingly) who quote to your wallet, not the job, or set out to belittle the customer with their faux-erudition. I'm not attempting a DIY roof: I have money ready and waiting to be spent with honest and competent tradesmen.

If all of the DIYers who use this forum were 'competent' they wouldn't be asking either. Then where you be?

It is a bit irritating when a diyer sticks his chest out claiming to be a 'project manager'. A bit rich for one so naive.

The thought of being ordered about by a project manager that hasn't got a clue himself will grate on the nerves of seasoned tradesmen.

It is a bit irritating when a diyer sticks his chest out claiming to be a 'project manager'. A bit rich for one so naive.

The thought of being ordered about by a project manager that hasn't got a clue himself will grate on the nerves of seasoned tradesmen.

As before, b***** off. I didn't claim to be a Project Manager - you get paid for that. I'm managing my own project - there is a difference, you know.

As already mentioned the bricky will bed the wallplate.
Remember your holding down/restraining straps.

Joiner will cut and fix the roof. including trimmers to suit velux, trim rafters, fit fascia, barges, soffit boards.

Roofer will felt, set out and tile roof including installing velux, flashings etc.
Roofer will fit gutters after felting and battening.

Joiner will install insulation, vcl and gyproc after 1st fix leccie.

Then plasterer can skim.

I wouldnt let a joiner near the velux flashing kit btw. :mrgreen:

Interestingly, there's nothing in the written specification that accompanies the drawings to indicate the use of a VCL. I'll ask the question.

The bricklayers are working from tressles & boards, but I assume that I'll need to sort scaffolding for the carpenter & roofer?

Interestingly, there's nothing in the written specification that accompanies the drawings to indicate the use of a VCL. I'll ask the question.
Achieving a VCL can be done in a few different ways depending upon design.

You can use foil sandwich PIR foam board insulation along with foil tape on all joints.

A sheet of polythene.

Duplex plaster-boards.

It is important that the PIR boards are fitted accurately or at least filled afterwards.

The bricklayers are working from tressles & boards, but I assume that I'll need to sort scaffolding for the carpenter & roofer?
As long as the platform height is high enough for the roofers to step up onto the roof, then trestles may be ok. They will also need to be wide enough and strong enough to accommodate materials and mebbe a compound saw etc.

Trestles can be a bit wobbly at full stretch though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back