Lights failing for no logical reason

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, would be grateful if anyone could give me some advice as I am scratching my head..

I have a house on 3 floors, on Friday the upstairs lights in the house all went off bar the front bedroom, no fuse has blown and one of the bedroom lights was going on and off periodically.. Although this has now stopped.. I have a hunch that the front bedroom may feed off the downstairs ring although I am not sure of this.. (Also the front bedroom (light working) was flashing on and off a few weeks ago, just for half a second.) but hasn't since! Nothing blew so I am a little lost for what to do, I have checked the wiring on a few of the lights and all seems fine! Downstairs is fine.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Much appreciated!

Neil

Sponsored Links
Loose connection somewhere. Depends how its wired, could be joint boxes under the floor if you're unlucky.

Thanks very much for the response, seems strange to go without any reason though? Can you advise what my best course of action would be?

Lighting circuits work on a radial format - a break in the circuit at one point invariably leads to no lights working on the circuit after the break.
You say that the front bedroom is on the only working on the upper floor then that is the place I would start from.

With the power off you need to check that all the conductors in the front bedroom ceiling rose are properly connected in their terminals.
If they are then you need to work out which of the upper floor lights is next on the circuit - possibly by accessing the loft and physically checking the route.
Look here on wiki to see how lighting circuits are generally wired.
//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:lighting:lighting_circuit_layouts

Sponsored Links
The light actually stopped working after my wife pushed the switch in the top bedroom (2nd floor).. All the wiring is under the boards so i want to avoid having to take them up..

Is their a tool that will tell me where the fault lies, ie between 2 switches?

The light actually stopped working after my wife pushed the switch in the top bedroom (2nd floor).. All the wiring is under the boards so i want to avoid having to take them up..
Is their a tool that will tell me where the fault lies, ie between 2 switches?
As Lectrician mentioned earlier it will depend how the lighting circuit has been wired. The link I showed you has some of the different types.
The standard (ceiling rose/junction box loop method) is for the live, switch live and earth only to be at the switch - so no neutral is there.
The loop at switch method brings both live (switch live), neutral and earth into and out of the switch.
What you need to do is examine your switch to see if it the loop at switch model or the standard model.
The standard (ceiling rose etc loop) would not cause this problem - only in the loop switch method would you have this problem - again probably caused by a loose connection.

Hi there I have taken photos of both the switch and the rose, does this tell you what system mine is?

Genuinely really appreciate your help!

Regards
Neil

Riveralt I really appreciate your help but don't quite understand your terminology.. So excuse my ignorance!

When you suggest I check the switch should I take off the light switch to see how many wires I have or should I check the wires going into the rose? Not 100% sure what I am looking for!

I have uploaded a picture of the rose and switch..

Really appreciate it!

Riveralt and Lectrician, thank you very much, loose wire on the ring main on front bedroom rose!!

Once again, thank you very much!

Regards
Neil

Riveralt and Lectrician, thank you very much, loose wire on the ring main on front bedroom rose!!
shake%20head.gif

Lighting circuits work on a radial format

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back