Yellowing gloss in room with no natural light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
We have a problem with our new house and the gloss yellowing especially in rooms with no windows I understand that the paints are now made with less dangerous chemicals but this causes the yellowing. I read in other posts that crown solo is good but I fear this would yellow still quite quickly so is there and alternative such as painting the wood in a matt finish would this yellow at all?

As our hallway and toilet have little natural light I think any gloss would go yellow soon so would like to try a paint that is sure not to yellow. I read some other forum posts but some were back in 2011 and 2012 so wondered where we are now.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
In my experience crown solo is one of the worst for yellowing. The only real alternative is to use acrylics and acrylic hybrids.

Gloss - Johnstones aqua on top of aqua undercoat

Satin - Johnstones or sikkens satura BL

Due to paint companies having to reduce or get rid of VOC (Volatile Organic Compounds) levels. To do this you have to reduce the solvent levels. Solvent helps to keep the gloss in liquid form. So they have to replace this with something. This action has caused white gloss to yellow a lot quicker. Also having no natural light in the room, this just excellerate's the yellowing process.
The only real answer to this is use water based glosses like dcdec mentions. I exclusively use the Johnsons aqua system and satin satura nowadays

Sponsored Links
Crown solo is the worst.

Sikkens satura (light purple tin) is the best.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back