PVA and tiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I've got a a couple of guys in at the minute, who were recommended to me by a neighbour, that are doing my bathroom. So far they have completely stripped the bathroom and have the new bath in, ply down on the floor for tiling, and patched up the walls. Aqua panel has been fitted around the shower end of the bath. I'm really pleased with their work so far.

On the wall they have written their "to do" list. Everything is ticked off apart from "PVA". Reading these forums, I've read all the posts about not using PVA before tiling. I presume this is what they're about to do (tomorrow). I don't want to undermine them, so how do i approach them about it? Suggestions welcome.

They've done plenty of bathrooms around here, over the past 10 or so years and I've seen the quality of the work and it's very good. Is this something I should be worried about?

Paul.

Sponsored Links
Don't worry, I coped by using a thing called tact.

I basically said that I'd prefer him not to use PVA and asked if it was okay for me to pick him some BAL primer up before work so he can use that. He was completely fine with it. Amazing what a little communication can do.

I don't think his mate wasn't overly pleased when I dropped it off, but at least I can relax now.

good approach.

Basically pva has been used for years, but newer adhesives aren't suitable for its use. Even very good tilers stick to tried and trusted methods and the logic 'its never failed before' is a hard one to change.

You have done the right thing though

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back