Renault Kangoo Immobiliser - How to defeat?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought a Kangoo 2nd hand, there was only one key supplied, this was the master key which covered the central locking and the immobiliser. The pushbutton switch has broken from the printed circuit card, I am struggling to resolder this since I can't see the position where it has broken from. Currently I can only operate the doors manually, the immobiliser just continues to flash and I can't start the engine. This is a one button plip key and I don't have the "card" which apparently gives the code for defeating the immobiliser. This an 02 model Kangoo.

I have been quoted £110.61 just for a new key, then £102.33 for recoding at the local dealer, another dealer a bit farther away, wants £95 and £55 for the same items.

I propose to buy a 2nd hand key from e-bay which looks the same; but probably need to have this key, and the immobiliser recoded at a Renault dealer. Ideally I'd like to drive the Kangoo there - anyone have any tips for defeating the immobiliser temporarily to allow this? or do I need to call in the AA or RAC to do this, or transport the van to a dealer for the recoding? or is it even necessary for a dealer to carry out the decoding?

Another option is to check the connections on the 2nd hand printed circuit board for the button; and attempt to resolder the original to have a functional key.

Any help out there?

Regards

Sponsored Links
If like me you have been searching the internet for answer to this problem well..

The key to resetting the immobiliser using the plip is:-

With the ignition off:-

Hold the central locking button down for 5 seconds
Then press the central locking button twice
Then put the key in the ignition, hold the central locking button and turn keeping the button pressed
The immobiliser light should illuminate then go out

You should then be able to start the engine - have literally just done this and worked for me

Hope this helps

If like me you have been searching the internet for answer to this problem well..

Then put the key in the ignition, hold the central locking button and turn keeping the button pressed

You should then be able to start the engine - have literally just done this and worked for me

Hope this helps
:D :D

:D :D

Perfect, worked for me. A bit tricky holding down the key button while turning but practice makes perfect!!
Thanks so much you're brilliant!

hi guys,
i'm budakraja from malaysia and own the old '02 kangoo. i'd like to express my gratitude to eng who had shared the procedure to reset the immo. i had the same problem and it already solved after stumbling upon this website (the problem had been with me for more than a year now and i'm labouring on the spare key).

i have been asking around here in malaysia and no one is actually able to reset/hack into the immo system. the only way out is to order a new set of key from France, in which the cost is ~ 1/10 of the cost of teh car itself.

i didn't imagine that the one who helped me to solve the issue is someone located thousand of miles from here. so what can i say. thanks a lot Mr Eng.

Sponsored Links
This worked for me on our Renault Kangoo year 2002 where one (the most used) of two original keys started to fail to start the car (ignition light blinking rapidly in pre-ignition position). The key still worked for the central locking though.
Thanks!

Hope this helps

Hi all, I have a renault kangoo 2006. The spare key has become unsync'ed with the car, I have tried your reset procedures, but to no avail. When pressing the the incar central locking button down(which locks and unlocks the car fine.) There is no lock/unlock after 5 or 10 secs, as stated in the post.
Is there another procedure I might be able to try or any other suggestions? Main key works fine. This is a old gentlemans car, whom I'm trying to save a couple of quid. I have had the key tested etc, plus button etc replaced on the off chance this might resolve it.
Cheers
Paul

according to autodata only keys with an 8 character head marking can be programmed using that method (i dont know where this marking is)
The procedure is:
Ensure ignition switched off
Press vehicle central locking button for more than 5 seconds
Doors should lock then unlock

Carry out the following within 10-15 seconds
Press first key unlock/lock button twice (once on some models)
Press second key unlock/lock button twice (once on some models)
doors will lock or unlock

Cheers for rapid reply ch497,

The issue I am finding is that when holding down the vehicle central locking button, it doesnt carry out the lock unlock cycle after 5/10 seconds...

Paul

Cheers all,

Am reading the chronicals of renault. Hoping to find something there, will check with software based programming tomorrow.

Will let you know.
Paul

I am having a similar nightmare with my Kangoo van.

Edit:

Summed up, I have a loose connection on the ignition barrel which was causing the ignition/dash to fail from time to time.

If I swap the barrel and transponder receiver out from another vehicle like for like, will this work? Firstly I'm going to try and bypass the immobiliser completely by linking the yellow and red wire that go into the transponder!

The bypass trick wont work im afraid, how easy do you think that would make it to steal a car!
I would think the barrel and transponder can be swapped over and not need to be coded to the car but cant guarantee that.

Hope this helps
Brilliant! Worked perfectly. My central locking buttons on my remote are stuffed but I used the central locking buttons by the gear stick - use the lock doors side (button to the right).
Thank you so much, it’s Sunday and next two days are public holidays so this has put the smile back on my face.

Sponsored Links
Back