UPVC windows - house cold!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm new to the site so firstly hello and thanks to everyone who helps people out on this site.

I know from looking at the forum that many people have had problems with UPVC windows. We had our's put in and they appear to be a nice, clean job. The fitter is a reputable local firm. But somehow, they just don't seem to work! I know you get a cold zone with windows but since having our's fitted the house does not seem to warm up at all. It's very hard to detact a draft as such - heat is just not retained. Our windows do look different to others in our street. The others seems to be 'cemented' in (caulk?) whereas our's have trim inside and out (the same type of trim externally and internally). I lifted some of the trim internally and there IS a gap but less than 5mm. It's filled with white stuff (silicone?) albeit perhaps not as carefully as it may have been. Lifting the trim externally, the gap is bigger (half an inch maybe) and that gap does seem to be filled with silicone. The job was estimated to take two days but ended up taking one day for two doors and six windows. I did wonder whether it had been rushed a little but as I say, a good local company and I don't want to throw accusations around. They do good after sales care and are happy to come round again - I'm just not sure what I should be asking them to do! It's a brick, timber framed house about 25 years old by the way.

Sponsored Links
in answer to your question, yes its a rush job! I can only go on my own fitting and I would have expected 2.5-3 days to do this on my own, sealed up/foamed outside then cemented over to match then neat bead of caulk round inside against reveal. I am guessing they have made them smaller so that they don't have to remove any cement outside just plop them in and hide all gaps with trims etc also did you have low e glass fitted it should be a c rated window minimum by law now. if they will come back ask them to remove all trims outside, fill with expanding foam and/or neutral cure silicone(including under and around cill) and cement over afterwards to match the other houses they should be able to tell you about glass/ energy rating but even if it is good glass like planitherm it wont make a lot of difference if windows themselves are poorly fitted and allowing the cold to bridge through from the outside good luck

in answer to your question, yes its a rush job! I can only go on my own fitting and I would have expected 2.5-3 days to do this on my own, sealed up/foamed outside then cemented over to match then neat bead of caulk round inside against reveal. I am guessing they have made them smaller so that they don't have to remove any cement outside just plop them in and hide all gaps with trims etc also did you have low e glass fitted it should be a c rated window minimum by law now. if they will come back ask them to remove all trims outside, fill with expanding foam and/or neutral cure silicone(including under and around cill) and cement over afterwards to match the other houses they should be able to tell you about glass/ energy rating but even if it is good glass like planitherm it wont make a lot of difference if windows themselves are poorly fitted and allowing the cold to bridge through from the outside good luck
Thank you for your reply which is greatly appreciated. They are A rated which we paid extra for! I'm going to try and post some pics, although as I'm new here I'll have to work out how to do it!

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately a lot of company's do not foam around the windows as their fitters are on piece work (get paid £40-60 per window) and they dont want to wait for foam to go off for a few hours.
Most people never notice.

In my opinion it is a bad practice that should be stamped out. Any large gaps should be foamed for thermal and sound insulation unfortunately I don't think there are any regulation on doing it.

I would call them back and ask them to foam them up but as its probably not in their contract they may try to charge you extra. I would argue and refuse to pay any extra and if you haven't settled the final bill yet I would hold back 5-10% until they have done it.

Good luck and let us know how it gos

Hi Gazman. Thanks for your reply. They have agreed to come back under the 10 year guarantee so hopefully they will foam them up. I'll post an update when they've been.

No way is that Rosewood silicone :eek: , Looks more like black.

This is Rosewood
IMG_1968_zps881ddcd2.jpg

You can see it best around the cill edges (masking taped nice and neat) It is reddish and quite a close match to Rosewood PVC

No way is that Rosewood silicone :eek: , Looks more like black.

This is Rosewood
IMG_1968_zps881ddcd2.jpg

You can see it best around the cill edges (masking taped nice and neat) It is reddish and quite a close match to Rosewood PVC

Lol sorry i got all confused there, it does indeed look like black, i wrongly assumed pinnacle meant he thought they'd used mahogany, its clearly not as its too dark, never occured to me that they were stupid enough to use black :eek:

My bad, sorry!

EDIT, ps nice job.....who fitted that! :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back