Dirt from hot taps.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Initially a few scraps of dirt came out of the bath hot tap. Then a veritable gush of dirty water, which then mostly cleared, but with odd scraps of.... ? still appearing.

Suspecting the (old) tap, and limescale or dirt build up, I checked the sink. Same problem.

Suspecting the loft water tank, I tried the cold taps, which were fine (both bathroom cold taps fed from loft tank.

I also looked in the tank: tank cover in place; water clear; tank floor has a (very) thin layer of dirt except immediately beneath the two outflow pipes; the outflow pipes are both a good 3? inches above the bottom; water level is fine (inch or two below overflow pipe).

That leaves the hot water cylinder, which was new about 6 years ago, and the pipes themselves (age unknown but at least 18 years).

Any suggestions?

edit: looking at it, it is dirt rather than limescale.

Sponsored Links
You don't talk as if you live there!

If you run each tap for a few minutes and it runs clear then there does not seem to be any need to do anything else!

Tony

Thanks guys
You don't talk as if you live there!

If you run each tap for a few minutes and it runs clear then there does not seem to be any need to do anything else!

Tony
Not sure what part of my post implies I don't live there... or why it makes a difference.

But I do.

My concern is twofold:
* until I know what causes it, it might recur - perhaps while I'm washing my hair...
* it might indicate an underlying issue that needs sorting: rusting pipes? potential future leak? I don't know, but I'd like to. It came from somewhere, for some reason...

"The word 'dirt' covers a multitude: dog dirt, garden soil etc. Any more specific? Colour, consistency, soluble, hard, abrasive?"

Good question and sadly I ran the water away. However, I've removed the filter from the spout of the bathroom tap and found.... see photos!
Mostly soft, but with some tiny hard metalic bits too.

[/quote]

Sponsored Links
I've run the hot tap into a bowl and collected some more 'bits'. After a while they sink to the bottom.

Am I right that the water in the hot water cylinder is drawn off from the top (as the hottest water rises)?

In which case any 'bits' would be unlikely to be drawn from the bottom?

So they must originate in the pipe between the cylinder and the taps?

And since the taps are fed by separate pipes, there must be a (shortish?) common pipe from the cylinder which then splits off?

Do the taps drip?
Perished tap washer maybe?
Not ideal that you are brushing your teeth in stored water. Would be a good idea to change the basin to mains fed if your confident that it isn't already.

Hi all,

You have "contaminated" hot water, debris from either the tank upstairs or severe corrosion in the pipes, may, have some ols steel pipes in there. Strongly suggest you don't wash your teeth, or drink any hot water, the bath water will be contaminated. So, if you have kids, could cause bad stomach and illness. Get a decent local engineer to check the water, or, send a sample to be checked....

Do the taps drip?
Perished tap washer maybe?
Not ideal that you are brushing your teeth in stored water. Would be a good idea to change the basin to mains fed if your confident that it isn't already.
The cold taps (and attic storage tank) are fine. It's the hot.
Can't be washers: more than one hot tap affected; metallic bits; too much debris.

"You have "contaminated" hot water, debris from either the tank upstairs or severe corrosion in the pipes, may, have some ols steel pipes in there. Strongly suggest you don't wash your teeth, or drink any hot water, the bath water will be contaminated. So, if you have kids, could cause bad stomach and illness. Get a decent local engineer to check the water, or, send a sample to be checked...."

Thanks. as I said, don't think it's the cylinder: only 5/6 years old, plus ...am I right...? the water is drawn from the top? And the 'bits' sink so would not be drawn off.

That leaves the pipe. Will call a plumber!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back