Faulty Composite Door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just had a composite door fitted by a large company in the Merseyside area. The style has four panels, the top two are glazed with Victorian Fleur design. It looks great, although just two days after installation, it started to leak via the top two glazing cassettes. (See photos)

The manufacturer visited to inspect the problem and proposed that silicone sealant was applied to the edges of the glazing cassettes, where these abut the door’s outer GRP skin. I was very unhappy at this proposal and am keen to obtain impartial provisional advice. I am concerned that simply applying a bead of silicone is nothing more than a temporary and expedient method of resolving a more fundamental manufacturing problem.

Can anyone advise what should be done to resolve the problem permanently?

//media.diynot.com/215000_214660_72660_73154377_thumb.jpg

//media.diynot.com/215000_214660_72661_89710945_thumb.jpg

Sponsored Links
They normally silicone them in the factory so it is standard. Maybe they missed doing yours or there is a small gap in the sealant somewhere

Would you happen to know if there are any layers of silicone/sealant within the Glazing cassette itself.

Its been years since I last took one apart I'm afraid so I'm a bit hazy.

If it leaking between the glass and cassette then its normally sealed from the outside. (any gaps here should be fairly easy to see)

If its leaking between the door slab and glazing cassette ideally they should remove the glazing architrave to seal in behind where it cant be seen.

I tried to find a video for you but this is the nearest thing I could find:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWYymJZbp9U

Sponsored Links
as already stated should have thin bead of silicone around cassette also must be sealed around letterbox as they can leak through. no silicone within cassette, usually held in with double sided tape

On my Solidor comp there is clear glazing tape that holds the glass to the cassette. It kind of behaves like a silicon seal. There is then a thicker Black seal that goes between the cassette and the door. They didn't appear to use any silicon and it works perfectly... so far so good anyway. I think silicon is ok as long as it's neat and tidy, In an ideal world the tape should do that for you though I think.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back