Reliability and running costs of the ElectraMate 2000?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is the ElectraMate 2000 as unreliable and expensive to run as it appears from general comments on the internet?

Could I expect significantly higher bills than I have with a gas ch system?

Are they expensive to repair and maintain?

If the ElectraMate 2000 is problematic can the unit be replaced with a similar sized more economical and reliable unit, using the existing pipework and radiators? If so, at what approximate cost?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Although the OP doesn't say what type of property he lives in, the Electramate is used almost exclusively in apartment blocks roud my way....Where shall we put a couple of LPG bottles?

Sadly in these typs of propery, electric seems to be the only solution... The Electramate is a little overcomplicated for what it does and a lot of plumbers wo't get involved in them...The only solution that I can think of would be another suitably sized thermal store (Heated overnight on Economy7) to run hot water and wet heating...If you only use the electramate for hot water and have electric panel heaters, then an unvented on economy 7 would be the way to go

Although the OP doesn't say what type of property he lives in, the Electramate is used almost exclusively in apartment blocks roud my way....Where shall we put a couple of LPG bottles?

Sadly in these typs of propery, electric seems to be the only solution... The Electramate is a little overcomplicated for what it does and a lot of plumbers wo't get involved in them...The only solution that I can think of would be another suitably sized thermal store (Heated overnight on Economy7) to run hot water and wet heating...If you only use the electramate for hot water and have electric panel heaters, then an unvented on economy 7 would be the way to go

Thanks for your considered reply.

It is a property I am interested in buying. As far as I am aware there is no possibility of gas, and the Electramate is situated in the centre of the flat. I am used to a relatively economical gas combination boiler and would not want to take on the liability of a possibly problematic and potentially expensive system.
To have a hybrid system of electric panels and separate hot water system seems to be getting complicated and expensive. If there was a way of changing to a more efficient and reliable electric boiler then that would be a consideration, but again only if not considerably more expensive than gas.
In any case they are wanting top dollar plus for the flat. There are other issues so the negative vibes are building up.

right this is simple. 1kwh or elecricity is the same energy as 1kwh of gas, given the same efficiency levels (ie when converted to heat). It stands to reason if the price per kwh of electricity is around 3x the price of gas then there lies your answer.

right this is simple. 1kwh or elecricity is the same energy as 1kwh of gas, given the same efficiency levels (ie when converted to heat). It stands to reason if the price per kwh of electricity is around 3x the price of gas then there lies your answer.

Do you have a reference for this where I can read through it?

Just ask any of the energy suppliers for their tariffs!

You may also learn from the FAQ on this site.

Most families with electric flats seem to be paying £2k to £4k for their electricity.

It is a property that I would avoid unless money is of no consequence and you want to live in that location.

Tony

Just ask any of the energy suppliers for their tariffs!

You may also learn from the FAQ on this site.

Most families with electric flats seem to be paying £2k to £4k for their electricity.

It is a property that I would avoid unless money is of no consequence and you want to live in that location.

Tony

Thanks Tony,

Your comments have put the final nail in the coffin of making this flat purchase. It is a nice flat, but I am not prepared to pay that sort of money, which will probably increase with rising energy costs.

There were other negatives in that it had a flat roof and the master bedroom was only about 6 metres at 45 deg angle from a largish electricity substation.

The seller also wanted top dollar ++

Electric heating wouldn't be my first choice but some properties give little option... The purpose of a thermal store (An electramate is a glorified thermal store) is to allow itself to be heated using off peak electricity such as Economy 7 or Economy 10....Enough energy should be stored to allow your anticipated heating period without it running cold so carfull calculations are needed..... I am shocked at the number of Gledhills that have been adjusted to heat constantly on peak rate electricity because they have been found to be too small and they run cold

+1 corgigrouch, but to the OP be aware I dont think the energy suppliers are obliged to keep the economy 10 tariff running forever. You caould find you sign up for something then they can remove the deal depending on the wording of the contract.

If sized correctly and used correctly then it will be 3x the price but if it is a new build then perhaps it is ultra insulated and the actual costs against a traditional bricks and mortar property may not be that great. Think if the heat loss is less in this property (due to design and new build) then the actual cost may be the same. Obviously if you could install gas then you would be saving over electric but this cannot be done but we dont know the thermal efficiency of the place.

We are Service agents for a similar product to yours average repair bill for a PCB or 9Kw Immersion heater is around £500!! so these things are not cheap to repair, also unless you can get and energy supplier to put you on a good tariff such as Economy 18 you can expect large running costs too!
(Sorry) :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back