Toilet slow to fill up cistern after flushing.

Should turn by hand grip.
Use a rag on it?
Anything in the kitchen drawer for opening jam jars?
A big wrench--with care on the plastic?

Sponsored Links
Hi there. I have the same issue on two toilets and have ordered replacement diaphragms from Steve at toiletparts.co.uk.

Can anyone advise how I should approach this? Where is the big plastic nut?
Thanks!

The thing that looks like a biscuit cutter.
The big knurled ring,

Sponsored Links
Well - I finally capitulated over the week-end - I couldn't get that nut off to replace the washer so I called in a plumber who also couldn't get the nut off despite all his expert tools! So I ordered the whole inlet thing off the Ideal Standard web-site so hopefully I can fit that OK.

But I have another problem!! I live in a three story town house with a bedroom on the ground floor and an en-suite shower and toilet room. When we flush the toilet the rubbish clears but the water is relatively slow to empty down to its normal level. There doesn't appear to be any blockages either in the toilet, the u-bend or in the outlet soil pipe. I wonder what the problem is.

Thanks to everyone who helped me on my first issue you were very kind.

Hi Guys, what a brilliant forum. I have this cistern mechanism. I have put the new diaphragm in and it is now filling up inconsistently. Sometimes the float stops it overfilling and other times it flows over down the overflow into the bowl. Other times if I flush fully and drain the tank it just runs into bowl (stays less than an inch full) and doesn`t fill tank at all, any ideas folks?? Many thanks.. :)

Hi guys. I recently had to replace the supply valve in one of my upstairs bathrooms. I also replaced the tank guts and everything was fine for about a week. Then the tank starting filling really slowly, which was why I replaced the guts in the first place. If I turn the valve off and back on, the tank fills faster, but only for the one flush, then back to slow. Now my other upstairs toilet is filling slowly, and nothing's been worked on it. Same thing, turn the valve off\on fills fast for one flush, then back to slow. I was wondering if there's an air bubble or something in the line? Or could it be something else further down the piping? Any help greatly appreciated.

Hi Brilliant advice, however i have swapped the diaphragm washer and it still takes 15 mins to fill the cistern. where the nut/lever is its like a fine spray coming out?
Any ideas greatly appreciated . thank you
Kev

This is a pic of the valve thats causing me problems

GALLERY]

...where the nut/lever is its like a fine spray coming out?
Any ideas greatly appreciated . thank you
Kev

I have exactly the same problem, on the same cistern (that seemed to start around the same time you posted yesterday - spooky!!) - would appreciate any possible solutions too; I haven't tried replacing the washer yet as this didn't seem to work for Kev - but will give it a go if people think it's worth the trip to B&Q.

Thanks,
Steve

Hi guys. Need some help. Having a bit of a problem.

Have the siamp single flush toilet which stopped filling up so changed the diaphragm as discussed on all other posts. This fixed the problem and the water began to flow but only about an inch up the cistern and then it stops again. Checked washer in properly. Took it all apart again but can't figure out what's going on.

Can anyone help? Am struggling. Looked on the siamp website and everything but doesn't mention this problem. :(

Thanks!

My cistern is slow to fill too with the water seeming to leak out in a fine spray though the swivel arm by the white plastic nut however, when i run the bath taps, this seem to temporarily fix it and the cistern fills up normally.

So if this was the washer, surely this would always be problem or we have a pressure/pipe problem?

what do you think?

This is a pic of the valve thats causing me problems

GALLERY]

Sorry to open this thread up again, but mine is taking forever to fill, like a couple of hours, it is exactly the same as this and water is just spraying out of the top, which bit do i need to unscrew please

managed to work out how to upload a pic, sorry kev used your pic and added a little black arrow to show where water is spraying from

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back