cast iron rad wall bracket need help please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I've bought a fancy cast iron radiator and it has come with a wall bracket but although I have Googled it I can't seem to find any clear instructions as to what the fitting procedure is for the bracket, so can anybody walk me through it step by step.

I didn't get it from here but this is the same as mine Bracket

The brass bit looks like an expansion bolt and goes into the masonry, the stud is supposed to be cut to length and the back bracket is threaded unlike the front one, then you have a normal nut and a dome but.

I assume you mark the wall with the rad in place and then remove the rad and drill the wall and then fit the brass expanding bit and then screw the stud into place but do you need to drill the hole deeper than the plug for any reason to be able to let the bolt go deeper?

Then I suspect you screw the back threaded plate onto the stud, do you set it at a position and push the rad against it?

I don’t get the next bit very well, I imagine you slide on the next bracket and then clamp it on the back column but what do you do next as you will have a stud that sticks out, do you have to carefully measure the stud somehow when it is difficult to access in between the columns so that you can cut it perfectly so that you now remove the rad and stud to cut the stud and then replace it all so that the dome nut tightens against the ordinary nut?

I feel having never done this before that I have got some part of the process wrong, my description feels messy as if a plumber would say you “No you don’t do it like that, this is how you do it”.

Can somebody detail the process for me please?

Here is my radiator and there is a link above to the bolt parts.

20000_19961_74273_28795328_thumb.jpg

20000_19961_74275_47761161_thumb.jpg

20000_19961_74274_83330032_thumb.jpg

Any help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Cut it to length and attach it to the rear column so it is hidden.
It is just a stability bracket.
Foookin eye watering price!!!

Cut it to length and attach it to the rear column so it is hidden.
It is just a stability bracket.
Foookin eye watering price!!!

but how do you get the length right, it seems very awkward that you have to try to measure the cutting point with it inside the confined space and obviously it must be precise to get the dome nut to tighten against the other nut unless I am not understanding how it works?

Measure from the wall to the rear plate position.
The length of stud required between plates can be measured before the rad is offered to the wall. Just add the two together.

It's not Rocket science!!

Sponsored Links
I assume you mark the wall with the rad in place and then remove the rad and drill the wall and then fit the brass expanding bit and then screw the stud into place?

or you could leave the rad where it is and use a long masonry bit.

To add to this, I prefer these fixings:

http://www.coventry-demolition.co.u...ury-cast-iron-radiator-wall-stay-black-nickel

You can also get the other types quite cheaply from this supplier, I use them for all of my rads.

Thanks for all the input everybody.

I like the look of these, how are these fixed to the wall, I can't see a way from looking at the picture, it just looks like the circular piece would rest against the wall not stopping the rad from coming forwards?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back