Soft spongy soil after large tree stump removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening everyone,

Has anyone any tips for firming up the soil after a large tree stump (2.5-3ft wide) has been removed. The stump was quite old (tree sawn down some 15 years ago), and was cut and ground out maybe 2 years ago. Have added buckets and buckets more soil to the area and stamped it down, but it's still quite soft and spongy.

Cheers folks.

Sponsored Links
If you really want to do gardening..then, first do test for the soil. it will give you all the details like nutrients level, pH level. According to the test, supplements should be given to the soil..

To be honest it was more about it being the only suitable area for a shed, which I don't want to get swallowed up by the ground lol.

The tree itself was cut down some 15 years or more ago (long before we moved in) and the stump was dead and rotten, and was ground out a couple of years ago. Given the size of the tree (judging by others in the field next to our garden), which was likely about 2-2.5 times the height of the house, how long can I expect before the soil is approaching some sort of normality?

Sponsored Links
All the wood chip produced by the stump grinder will be adding to the spongey-ness

I guess if you want to build on it the only option would be to dig out all the soft ground and replace with (compacted) sub soil/stone/etc

If the soft spot is not too bad then you can also bridge over it with a reinforced concrete raft which is what i usually do with a remove stump in a new paved area.

4 inches of concrete with some steel mesh in it spanning at least a foot onto decent ground

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back