Dimmer blowing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I have a rotary dimmer switch that controls three wall lights. Each light is a 60 Watt BC standard filament type, so total load 180W. One of the lamps went the other day and took the dimmer out along with it. The dimmer was a Crabtree CPU 2W250, rated 60-250W with a push-on/push-off switch and looking at it there is an internal component that has overheated (the fuse?) and the switch no longer functions mechanically. The wiring has live and switched live at the switch and was connected to the terminals with the wavy line and L1.

The only cause that I can think of for this occurring is the lamp blowing, as I replaced the lamp and used a new dimmer and all seems ok. This doesn't seem normal to me though, as I can understand maybe a fuse in the dimmer blowing, but not the switch as well. I read in a six year old old post while searching the forum that:

Cheap lamps kill cheap dimmers when they fail.

The lamp may be cheap, but is Crabtree a good make? The dimmer itself is only about 6 months old as it was a replacement for a very old dimmer that finally gave up after about 20 years. What else could cause this to fail?

Sponsored Links
Incandescent lamps can metamorphosise into arc lamps after they're read the last rites. I Imagine that the resulting current surge did for the dimmer. The lamps should have an internal fuse to deal with this and "should" is the key word.

Sponsored Links
Virtually all incandescent lamps have an internal fuse. It is in the base and difficult to see without dismantling the lamp. Sometimes it is in a glass tube, others it is just fuse wire in the base.

Thanks for your replies, so it would appear that cheap lamps may be the problem? The ones in question were from Morrison's, so deffo cheap!

Thought you might like to see the innards...

Where would you suggest buying lamps that definitely have inbuilt fuses? Or is there a make or brand that is better than the rest? The lamps are the candle variety.

That looks more like it's been overheating for some time, rather than the result of a current surge when a lamp blows.

Use dimmable LED lamps and the problem goes away. I'm keen on MK dimmer switches but they cost a fortune.

Having replaced many dimmers of different makes over many years, it makes little or no difference what make it is, or how much it cost.

The fact is that if you have incandescent lamps on a dimmer, sooner or later a lamp will fail and destroy the dimmer.
It's probable that the smaller the glass envelope, the more likely a destroyed dimmer is, as the fault arc will be sustained for longer in a confined space.

Years ago, MK and possibly some other makes of dimmer contained a 1A BS646 fuse. These usually protected the dimmer from destruction, but then had the unwanted effect of people not being aware of the fuse and therefore just buying a new dimmer anyway.

Thought you'd like a quick update...

That looks more like it's been overheating for some time, rather than the result of a current surge when a lamp blows.

I tested the current through this circuit when the lamps were on full, it's 750mA which I think is about right for 3 x 60 Watt filament lamps.

I've replaced the lamps with new Crompton ones from TLC, says they are internally fused so will see how they go.

Thanks again for all the advice.

As someone mentioned earlier it looks more like prolonged overheating, rather than the split second of a lamp failing
Not sure about all dimmers but the lamp failure surge usually blows the Triac rather than the damage yours shows

Is the dimmer ganged up with other dimmers in an enclosure

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back