Consumer unit replacement - main fuse?

Well I've spoken to a second electrician who is hopefully coming out later this week. He was asking a lot of questions about proximity of CU to gas meter box and how the gas meter must be earthed as part of the job if it wasn't already.

The first guy who gave me a quote after visiting didn't even ask about the gas meter, let alone open the gas meter box to check! You'd think there'd be some consistency with the key areas to check/ask for when discussing a quote to replace a CU. Both guys are members of trade schemes (i got details from the appropriate websites, as I know you can't necessarily trust a nice logo on the side of a van. The 'Wall of Shame' on NICEIC's site was interesting reading!).

This requirement for the gas meter to be earthed is a new one on me. What else should these guys be checking/asking when quoting for this work?

Sponsored Links
This requirement for the gas meter to be earthed is a new one on me. What else should these guys be checking/asking when quoting for this work?
That's why you need an electrician.

The term is BONDING, not earthing. Bonding must be done to incoming services such as water, gas, oil etc (broadly speaking) if they are brought in from underground using metal pipes.

Guys SHOULD be checking/asking a whole heap of questions. The first check will be if your existing electrical installation is worth putting a new consumer unit on.
Are the supply, main earth and bonding conductors up to today's requirements?
Are there inherent faults?
Are the wires big enough?
Has a previous owner added things that are dangerous?
etc
etc

The first guy who gave me a quote after visiting didn't even ask about the gas meter, let alone open the gas meter box to check! You'd think there'd be some consistency with the key areas to check/ask for when discussing a quote to replace a CU.
It's a tricky balance when quoting, a tradesman has to balance between making an accurate estimate and not wasting too much of his time on a job he may or may not get.

Normally I would expect such a quote to have some section about the potential for remedial work being required (and how much if any remedial work is included in the price).

Out of interest, is it OK to have the isolator fitted next to the meter if it's outside? I ask as my meter is in a box on the outside wall. I'm not sure I like the idea of a master switch for the entire house's electrics mounted in a box that anyone with a meter box key/long nosed pliers can access!
Apart from the inconvenience issue and people playing pranks (hmm, thinks back, yes I was young once :D), I do have to wonder about the wisdom of putting inadequately rated electrical equipment outside. This is hte box on one of my properties - notice that it's never been exposed to wet :rolleyes:

At the risk of thread hijack, if one were getting out someone to put an isolator in, do you reckon there's much chance of persuading them to move the meter a bit while they're at it (tea and quality biccie selection provided of course) ?
At G/Fs house, the meter isn't ver conveniently located in terms of the space left the the CU - in fact the current CU has had to be mounted sideways on to fit it in.
Though really, it needs the CU taking out, the meter moving to bottle left, and new CU across top - IMO anyway, though not really practical to do that. In reality, meter would have to go hard up against bottom of current CU - unless others have a different opinion.

Sponsored Links
Simon,

I wouldn't ask them. The cupboard and the back board is meant to be reserved for the supply company's equipment ONLY.
If they get @rsey they could tell you to move the CU out of there.

PS Has Squirrel Nutkin been storing stuff down the bottom of the cupboard?

Well there's never been a fuseboard anywhere else, and I'm sure Norweb were quite happy to connect up the supply originally. There's no evidence that the cupboard isn't original to when it was built.
Not decided what to do yet, but it's going to be fun working in that small(ish) space :rolleyes: Even more fun when I tell SWMBO that I've got to chase all the way up that wall just inside the front door :(

PS - and yes, it's a vital bit of storage space in a house that was designed with "not much space for anything".

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back