Suggestions please for all in one please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Oh my head is spinning!
As my XP machine is to be retired when support finishes I have been looking at options. Tempted to go for an all in one as my screen is fairly old too.
I know it’s a risk if one bit goes the whole lot is scrap but they do save a lot of space while still giving a good sized screen.

Been looking at lots and like the Lenovo B350 21.5 inch touchscreen which has the i3 processor, anybody know anything about them, or can anyone please suggest something at around the £600 mark please before my head explodes?!! :confused:

Sponsored Links
Why do you need to scrap your current machine ?

Just install a Linux distro.

Voila

If there's something "Windows specific" then either dual boot or install XP in a VM

XP is not going to suddenly stop working. Merely becoming more open to malicious attack as time passes by. By using windows ONLY for offline stuff it should carry on working indefinitly.

Thank you for your advice.
I know a lot of people like Linux but I just want to plug it in and use it, and it seems to me you need to be a bit into computers to go that route. As it is I just load on the windows programme I want and it works, Simples! (well most of the time anyway :D )

I will keep my old machine for offline use . Last time I changed I kept my games on the old one and stripped out a lot of the programmes, turned off anti virus and it worked well till I had finished all the levels. This time I will do the same at least until Lara has finished "The Last Revelation" ;)

You can see by my English spelling of programmes I have one of the old Imperial model brains that were supposed to be phased out in the 70's ;)

The all-in-ones use a lot of laptop tech. I've bought a few for work, they're ok, limited for upgradeability though.

They aint cheap either, so why not have the versatility of a laptop instead for probably less money.

Sponsored Links
I use an Apple Mac running "Snow Leopard". Although support has officially ended for that, too, I'm not bothered because it has never suffered from a single malware attack (and there's hardly any, anyway).

They aint cheap either, so why not have the versatility of a laptop instead for probably less money.

I have a laptop running Vista (which I keep solely for banking) but prefer a full sized keyboard and screen for some things like genealogy, photo editing and general surfing.

I did think about getting a laptop and connecting to the large screen and a keyboard but might as well buy a tower unit then. As I said I do worry that if the screen goes t**s-up the whole thing is scrap but then I guess the same applies to a laptop.

Apples are nice, but seem a bit overpriced to me, I won't get much for around £600 there ;)

Trouble is towers look cheap till you see how basic they are then you add the spec you need and suddenly they are twice the price and my old monitor is not touchscreen so I figure if you are stuck with paying for windows 8 you might as well have the facility to use that option :cry:

Bit like cars you see one for £999.99 then you find it has no spare wheel, an engine the size of a cordless drill and a basic spec you might get on a go-cart, add a few extras and suddenly it's four grand dearer!

Well my new Lenovo arrived and after an afternoon of trying to get it to download windows updates and support telling me to turn of this and delete that then go to their website to install something else. On a brand new machine just out of the box my patience was exausted! now on it's way back for a refund :cry:

Welcome to Windows 8 !

lol

Remember.. They know what's best for you/us. Just open your wallet and their shareholders will be pleased !

Would you also like extra insurance on that as you probably will be getting frustrated with it.

Ah windows 95, happy days ;) ;)

I go back to the days of MS-DOS 3.3. Maximum RAM 640 KILOBYTES, max hard disk partition (if you could afford a hard disk) 32 MEGABYTES. Programs were supplied on floppy disks, the smallest 360KB, the (very rare) largest 1.44MB. Average 720KB 3.5" floppy. Monitor: 25 lines of text or graphics at 320x200!

How things have changed over the last (almost) 30 years!

I use an Apple Mac running "Snow Leopard". Although support has officially ended for that, too, I'm not bothered because it has never suffered from a single malware attack (and there's hardly any, anyway).
I prefer the Mac, on Lion and it also runs Windows XP, 7,8 and Linux etc [whatever that is]

Sponsored Links
Back