Solvent weld mitred guttering?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have scaffold up at the moment so it's a good time to add a gutter around my circular lead bay roof. I don't think there's ever been a gutter there and the rain off it falls clear of the walls but it splashes up in the mud below and leaves stains on the walls. Since we're having the house re-rendered, want to prevent this in future.

The bay is made of 6 panes of glass, each at 30/150 deg to each other. I have not managed to find 150 deg gutter corners so experimented with a couple of options for making a custom gutter by heating and bending and solvent welding.

The solvent welding of 2 mitred sections seems to be reasonably strong, and certainly looks the nicest, (heating and bending leaves a kink on one side). I wonder about the longevity of such a solution though - with expansion and contraction it may not last long.

Anyone got any opinions/experience of this?

Ta,
Ben

Sponsored Links
You're probably right in your assumption about expansion and contraction having a long-term effect but no harm in trying it I would say. Nothing to loose and the benefits may last some time before any problems develop.

first consider a narrow section of paving around the bay on the ground - easy to do and a kind of standard anti splashback cure ;) Secondly - many years ago I fitted a guttering system that had a kind of membrane glued inside over the joints . I can`t recall the name of the system but it was on the Horder Centre in Crowborough . with all the modern glues and silicones there may be a way to fabricate a similar setup.

Sponsored Links
Thanks everyone for the responses. I'll check out those 150 degree corners, might be the simplest solution.

Regarding the pavement round the bottom - that was going to be my original solution, but since we have scaff up at the moment thought it was an opportunity.

Cheers,
Ben

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back