Electric shower Tripping off when not in use

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, My electric shower keeps tripping off when its not being used. It works perfectly fine, but twice over the last couple of weeks it trips off at some stage during the day when its not in use?

Should I get it checked?

Thanks in advance for any advice

Sponsored Links
Its only about 2 years old and has its own unit (RCD?) which has a master switch and a "Shower Supply" switch which is the one that keeps tripping off, the master stays on.

What markings are written on the part that switches off, and what markings are written on the part that stays on?

Sponsored Links
As Aragorn says a photo would be nice ..or at least what is written on the 2 items
True - but since we're told that it's not the RCCB which is tripping, it presumably must be an MCB. If that's the case, and given that the shower is working and nothing dramatic is happening, it's very difficult to see that the cause could be anything other than a faulty MCB, which just 'trips' spontaneously.

Kind Regards, John

As Aragorn says a photo would be nice ..or at least what is written on the 2 items
True - but since we're told that it's not the RCCB which is tripping, it presumably must be an MCB. If that's the case, and given that the shower is working and nothing dramatic is happening, it's very difficult to see that the cause could be anything other than a faulty MCB, which just 'trips' spontaneously.

Kind Regards, John

Thanks John, so as long as the unit works do you reckon its safe to leave it?
View media item 75059unit similar to above

Thanks John, so as long as the unit works do you reckon its safe to leave it?
I wouldn't go that far - from afar, I can but speculate about what is probably the problem, so you definitely need to get it checked out and sorted out - since I could be wrong. In any event, if my suspicion is right, it's probably only a matter of time before the MCB gives up the ghost completely, in which case you won't be able to use the shower at all.

Do I take it that its the thing on the right of your (tiny!) picture that is tripping. Does it have something like B40 or B45 written on it?

Kind Regards, John

yes the switch on the right trips and it has B40 written on it

yes the switch on the right trips and it has B40 written on it
Right - as I had presumed. My belief remains that the B40 device itself is easily the most likely cause of the problem - but, as I said, you really ought to get it checked out, not the least in case I'm wrong and something more nasty is going on! As I'm sure you'll understand, without being there, I obviously can't be sure about anything.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back