Baxi Duo Tec 33 Condemned At Risk???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,
My Baxi Duo Tec 33 (installed about 3 years ago) only supplies hot water when tap is turned on slightly. This applies to any tap in house. When tap is turned on fully, water is barely luke warm, when on a very slow flow, water is very hot. I don't think there has always been this problem, but can't be sure. It doesn't seem right to me, we went for the bigger 33 version to accomodate a good flow rate from our taps. Any thoughts anyone?
Thanks in advance.
Datadiyer.

Sponsored Links
When was it last PROPERLY serviced?

Is the gas tap by the meter fully on?

Tony

Hi Tony,

Checked gas tap, it is fully on. I'm ashamed to say i've never had it serviced :( . Would this be the cause? I've lowered the pressure a little to no effect, and also played around with the water temp dial.
Cheers,
Datadiyer.

• Thanks
Reactions: ctp
Today, the boiler is firing up when the cold water tap is turned on. Is this related?

Many thanks,
Datadiyer.

Sponsored Links
Probably caused by a dead leg if its only for a few seconds.

If constant sounds as if you have a hot to cold crossflow problem.

Tony

Do you have mixer taps/shower ? If you do and they have isolating valves on them, turn the cold ones off and see if it improves. Also you could feel the hot outlet under the boiler (15mm pipe on the left hand side) does this get hot to touch ?

Hi Agile & Gigz,
I tried your suggestions to no avail, :( . But I’ve had a Gas Safe engineer out to look at it and has condemned it as ‘At Risk’. He informed me the inlet pressure at the boiler was only 11 mb, and at the meter it was normal (20mb I think he said). He suggested that it is the way the boiler was installed. The installation guy tapped into the existing central heating pipes and over time, the sludge & gunk has affected the pressure to the boiler causing the hot water problem. The problem is proving this I guess. The hot water problem has got worse over the past couple of months so is this sludge thing feasible? Also, surely there aren’t any regulations that say you can’t use the old central heating pipes as the gas run for a new boiler? Maybe just bad practice? Any thoughts anyone?

Many thanks,
Datadiyer.

Are you saying they used old heating pipe for gas pipe? :eek: That is very wrong. It could be debris, water in old pipe clogging up gas valve.

It should be a new pipe run from the meter to boiler and correct sized for heat input.

Has he check hot water plate exchanger is clear of scale, gunk?

Daniel.

Hi Daniel,
Yes, that's exactly what happened, although the installer did flush out the old pipes before tapping into them for the gas run for the new boiler so I thought that would be ok....seems not I guess :( . Is there any law though that states you HAVE to have a new gas run for a new boiler or is it a bit of a grey area?...also the gas run (old 1960's heating pipes are 22mm), should they be 28mm?

Many thanks,
Datadiyer.

There's no law saying it can't be done, but its very bad practice. He is now responsible for the full gas run to boiler, and if it had service valves/drain off in the pipeline it the becomes RIDDOR reportable. Can you not get in touch with him asking what he was playing at ? Worth a shot.

Hi Gigz,
Unfortunately the installer is now retired. Also, I doubt i'd be able to prove that tapping into the old heating pipes caused the current boiler problems :( . Although, just to confuse matters more, the Gas Safe chap who commissioned it wasn't the guy I asked to install it. He worked alongside his plumber mate (the one I asked to install it) and commissioned it. So, I don't even know who's liable, alongside the fact that I can't prove the old pipes has caused the fault. New pipeline around £600-£700 at a guess :( .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back