Male and female adaptors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi are male adaptors or female adaptors easier to fit and what tools are required to fit them?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
If you mean plastic, both about the same, Female adaptors with the bush leave slightly more room in the box, as opposed to the Male where the thread sometimes protrude into the box, both push on the conduit and if you want you can pvc glue them on, but not always necessary.
Generally water pump pliers tighten the bush or lockring but some do up enough just by hand.

EDITED wrong way round

Don't want to be personal rocky, but you may have your 'male' and 'female' a bit mixed up.

And I always call them couplings, or couplers. Or does that term only apply to steel conduit?

Don't want to be personal rocky, but you may have your 'male' and 'female' a bit mixed up.

And I always call them couplings, or couplers. Or does that term only apply to steel conduit?

plastic also do Couplers they have two holes and no thread used for joining two pipes.
Same as metal conduit couplers but without the internal thread

Sponsored Links

A coupler is a device designed for joining two lengths of conduit together.

In steel conduit the design of the couplers means they can also be used in compbination with a bush to connect to a box. In plastic conduit couplers are different from adapters.

In PVC, always known them as conduit adapters. Female by far the most common in my experience, as leaves loads of room in back box and where conduit terminates into trunking etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back