Plastic back boxes?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Going to go ahead & expose my woeful knowledge of electrics now...

The party wall in our living room suffers from damp. Our neighbours is even worse where you can see water forming on their walls - ours isn't that bad thankfully.

Anyway, their electrics kept tripping out which was down to water in the wall getting in & about their socket which had rusted badly.

When having our walls plastered we found 1 socket that had also rusted quite badly (the back box at least).

I was wondering if these could be switched with a plastic box perhaps, to avoid rusting? Is this a possibility? Are there any negatives to doing this?

& before we get into the realms of solve the damp - it can't be solved. :)

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
You could sink a plastic patress into the wall, but the damp will still get into the wiring and mechanism of the socket. As you know, water does have the ability to get everywhere.!

The only plastic back boxes are either fastfix boxes which are used for plasterboard walls and surface mounted boxes, both are not suitable for mounting within a plastered wall

plastic boxes are bigger and fixed lugs so would need fitting square.
whereas metal are undersized allowing for the socket to have about 10 mill overhang all around, not ideal but the plastic boxes intended for dado trunking are smaller and MAY be suitable

Sponsored Links
MK do THESE plastic FLUSH boxes that have adjustable lugs.
That's interesting - I've never seen those. The Edmundson site won't allow me to look at the spec - do I take it that the external dimensions are similar to those of a metal back box, rather than a plastic surface one?

Kind Regards, John

They're in this catalog: https://www.mkelectric.com/Documents/English/EN MK Catalogue/Egatube Conduit.pdf[/QUOTE]
Thanks - that does, indeed, confirm that they are 'metal back box size', which is obviously what one would hope.

I'm a little surprised that these (or similar) are not a lot more ubiquitous - why do we continue to use metal (which can rust and, in exceptional circumstances, can become live - and make faceplate screws live) if one can use plastic?

Kind Regards, John

if the damp is that bad - and unsolvable - then I wouldn't be flushing in sockets using any kind of box.

Use a surface wiring system to appropriate IP rating.

Sounds like you need:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/bg-nexus-13a-2g-rcd-switched-socket/91095

Why on earth can that level of damp not be resolved? Do you live in Ashopton or something?

How will an RCD protected socket help? If there is a fault, it will surely occur before that RCD?

It was selected for its ingress protection properties, rather than its RCD qualities. A rather flippant suggestion, I must confess. I think the OP needs to treat the cause (damp wall) rather than the symptom (rusting metalwork), though they have preempted this suggestion by asserting that for reasons unknown, it isn't possible.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back