Underfloor sound deadening?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'd be grateful of some help please.

I'm running some waste pipes between joists in my bathroom and when I lifted the boards the space between is filled with this stuff - in the bucket

View media item 75600
I've put this to one side for now.

What is it called?

Is there something I can replace it with that doesn't cause so much dust?

Sponsored Links
Someone tunnelling to make an escape mebbe!

Its called soil and rubble and can be found every where in the fields of the countryside.

If you add water and seeds vegetation will grow in it. A dollop of horse dung helps also in the mix.
That's where food comes from.
You thought it was tesco's didn't you?

:LOL:

Haha!

Doesn't appear like the usual ****e we get around here. Maybe it's an import :LOL: Lots of ash in it, I think. I'll see if I can grow something in it to recoup the cost of my renovation project :p

So what's the best stuff to use as sound insulation?

Sponsored Links
it probably is ash/clinker and is standard in central Scotland.

You can put it in strong plastic bags if you want to reduce the dust.

Silver sand was also used between floor joists and on top of lath and plaster ceilings as an inert sound deadening material. It is heavy (possibly too heavy for the size and depth of floor joits used these days in dwellings) and added mass to the ceiling, which helps to reduce the amount of low frequency sound which can get from above / below a floor.
It is possibly worth adding that this was generally in the days before ceiling lighting points were installed, but where I have worked on listed buildings it was necessary to clear the silver sand away from the point where a new light fitting was to be installed, so that it did not come pouring through any holes made for the new light fitting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back