Wiring in loft - safe or not?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks - I'm after some advice if anyone is willing... We're at the end of our extension which has been managed by our builder using his own contractors for electrics etc.. The building inspector has signed off on the completion certificate and electric certificate has also been issued. Poking my head up in the loft everything is a little messy (can live with this) but I've got concerns over some of the wiring up there - this supplies various GU10 light fittings, extractor fans, mirror heater, shaver sockets etc. etc.. It looks like it's been wired in using old ceiling light fittings, and I can see bare wires. Does anyone have any opinion on whether the pictures below look safe? I'm no electrician so have no idea whether it's normal to use these as junction boxes. The builder's told us it's fine but I've lost a bit of trust in him recently so would definitely appreciate second (or third!) opinions. I'm not trying to be mega picky, just need to know it's been done properly and it's safe. Obviously I don't want this causing problems in 10 years time if I come to sell the house either!

Thanks in advance!

Steve

Pic 1 - loft space

Pic 2 - fitting I'm most worried about

Pic 3 - underneath the fitting

Pic 4/5 - another fitting and underneath

Pic 6/7 - another one

Sponsored Links
Completely unacceptable.

For a new build the roof space should not be that messy. The insulation is untidy which will derate its thermal performance. There is no excuse for rubbish and offcut materials to be left up there.

The extractor vents don't slope downwards continuously to vent and will accumulate condensation then mould.

Ceiling roses must not be used as junction boxes as the cover is removable without the use of a tool. (The exception is permitted when used as ceiling roses which are usually out of reach.)

Junction boxes and terminals must not be supported on the wiring. The JBs must be screwed to joists or otherwise supported.

Cables must be clipped to joists adjacent to JBs, or JBs with cable grips used to prevent cable being pulled out of JBs.

Cable outer sheathing must be taken into the JB and the coloured wire insulation must not be visible.

You have an unterminated cut off cable labelled 'mirror'

The whole installation is slipshod, gimcrack, shoddy, ramshackle, makeshift, mean, third-rate, inferior, unprofessional, lacking in good workmanship, and well below the standard reasonably to be expected of a competent electrician.

A builder doesn't have to be an electrician to recognise that such untidy work is unacceptable. If he accepts that standard, I'd start worrying about the rest of the job.

Nothing much to add - as above, totally unacceptable, and one doesn't even need to be any sort of expert to realise that.

Kind Regards, John

It's a very poor job, and I doubt it's been done by a proper electrician.

Proper junction boxes should be used, secured to the joists, and all cables neatly clipped.

I wouldn't accept it, and wouldn't pay for it either until it's re-done.

It's not necessarily 'unsafe', but shoddy.

Sponsored Links
Nothing in your pictures suggests that your house is about to go up in smoke but it is a very untidy job. Is some of the wiring from an older installation as in couple of pictures the old pre 1995 colours are evident?

Edit: Pre 70's green only earth in image 3 :?:

totally unacceptable get him back to do it correctly, or get a proper electrician and charge him for the remedial work. did he give you a certificate for the work?

Nothing in your pictures suggests that your house is about to go up in smoke but it is a very untidy job. Is some of the wiring from an older installation as in couple of pictures the old pre 1995 colours are evident?

Pre-2004-2006.

I suspect the wiring is shown in the original part of the house. :)

Pre-2004-2006.

I suspect the wiring is shown in the original part of the house. :)

Was thinking 2005 :oops: Which is still wrong as their was the transition period March 04 - March 06

Was thinking 2005 :oops: Which is still wrong as their was the transition period March 04 - March 06
Indeed - but, as you said in your afterthought, if that is plain green sleeving we can see,that comes from a much earlier era (unless some electrician was still using up some drums of the stuff a few decades later!)

Kind Regards, John

Completely unacceptable.

For a new build the roof space should not be that messy. The insulation is untidy which will derate its thermal performance. There is no excuse for rubbish and offcut materials to be left up there.

The extractor vents don't slope downwards continuously to vent and will accumulate condensation then mould.

Ceiling roses must not be used as junction boxes as the cover is removable without the use of a tool. (The exception is permitted when used as ceiling roses which are usually out of reach.)

Junction boxes and terminals must not be supported on the wiring. The JBs must be screwed to joists or otherwise supported.

Cables must be clipped to joists adjacent to JBs, or JBs with cable grips used to prevent cable being pulled out of JBs.

Cable outer sheathing must be taken into the JB and the coloured wire insulation must not be visible.

You have an unterminated cut off cable labelled 'mirror'

The whole installation is slipshod, gimcrack, shoddy, ramshackle, makeshift, mean, third-rate, inferior, unprofessional, lacking in good workmanship, and well below the standard reasonably to be expected of a competent electrician.

A builder doesn't have to be an electrician to recognise that such untidy work is unacceptable. If he accepts that standard, I'd start worrying about the rest of the job.

Take it you're not very impressed with that job Owain? :unsure:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back