Removing dimmer switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I have just noticed that the ceiling lamp I have recently bought is not dimmable, so I decided to take the dimmer switch out and replace with another switch. I have replaced switches many times before but I am really confused with this one.

There are 3 red wires connected to the dimmer switch and 2 of them were connected to the same place (see picture). I also added the picture of the normal switch that I want to swap.

Can anyone tell me how shall I make the connections?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
View media item 75681
View media item 75682
The wires which are together, keep together and put in the COM terminal,
put the other wire into another terminal.

The other switch should be changed like for like.

Someone will moan that the switch front should be earthed directly if the new ones are metal.
Many thanks. The current and new switches are all metal. I think they are earthed through the screws.

Many thanks. The current and new switches are all metal. I think they are earthed through the screws.

That is not good enough. The terminal with the earth symbol is there for a very good safety reason.

Run a (green/yellow) fly lead from the earth terminals to the front plate or terminate all of the earths at the front plate itself.

That is not good enough. The terminal with the earth symbol is there for a very good safety reason.

Run a (green/yellow) fly lead from the earth terminals to the front plate or terminate all of the earths at the front plate itself.

I will do. Thanks

View media item 75681
View media item 75682
The wires which are together, keep together and put in the COM terminal,
put the other wire into another terminal.

The other switch should be changed like for like.

Someone will moan that the switch front should be earthed directly if the new ones are metal.

Hi again, I tried as you told me the other day. But it didn't work. The new switch definitely works (I tried) but when replaced the dimmer, it didn't. Any ideas?

So the light would never switch on ?

Please explain what wires you put into the new switch terminals, and how are the new switch terminals marked ?

I assume the other switch is somewhere else in the house

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back