Downlighters - mains to LV - can I use the existing wiring?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have 6 downlighters fitted in my bathroom - including 2 above a sink which are not as high as 2.2 m. They are mains voltage, not IP rated. I know this is not 'ideal'. The wiring is in the loft. They were in when I moved in 14 yrs ago, covered by a letter of comfort (we are in Scotland)
One of the fittings is showing signs of being a bit dodgy (doesn't work sometimes etc) and I am thinking of replacing it
(I put in click connectors a few years ago as I was decorating, no natural light, so I could disconnect one or two at a time - so really easy to do)
But just wondering if I should bite the bullet and replace them all with low voltage - stick in a transformer in the feed and replace all the fittings...use the existing wiring?
How feasible does that sound? Would it be 'illegal'?
I am pretty sure I can just replace the one fitting like with like and it wouldn't be a problem ...

Sponsored Links
Swapping low voltage for extra low voltage using LED lamps should not be a problem as the LED does not use much current but using quartz halogen likely existing wiring would not be heavy enough.

Personally I don't like extra low voltage and would continue using low voltage lamps. With RCD protection on lights there is really no problem with low voltage.

Note:-
Low Voltage 100 - 1000 volt AC.
Extra Low Voltage below 100 volt AC.

I know in USA they have different terms, but in UK 12v is extra low voltage and 230v is low voltage.

Ok so mains are ok if they have RCD - even in a bathroom?

Consumer unit was replaced 5 years ago - so does have RCD protection.

(they all have low energy bulbs in - most CFL reflectors but a couple are globe LEDs)

Sponsored Links
The regulations are not law. So you don't have to follow regulations you can use some common sense. There are 4 zones.
Zone 0
Zone 1
Zone 2
Special 3 meter rule for sockets not called a zone but considered as one.
You would not put lights in zone 0 so only zone 1 and 2 are of interest to you.
2.25 meters high is the limit so within 0.6 meters of shower tray or bath edge is the limit.
IPX4 although may be written on fitting it does not have to be written on them and it just means "Water splashing against the enclosure from any direction shall have no harmful effect." although an electrician may require to see the IP rating written down in real terms just ask yourself would they likely be harmed. To be frank any 50mm Quartz Halogen lamp would likely be harmed with water splashes as likely the protective glass would break due to the rapid cooling yet I have seen 50mm spot lights with IPX4 marking.

LED lamps one would expect to fair better as no heat yet I have seen where the bulb is marked in-doors only. However I have a 0.54W GU10 bulb in my hand which warns "Bulb wattage must not exceed that recommended for the fitting" at 0.54W who are they kidding you will never find a GU10 fitting rated that low. So again common sense is the main thing.

I personally don't like extra low voltage lamps it is so much easier to use low voltage where you can swap between tungsten, Cold Cathode and LED bulbs with out swapping power supplies so unless you intend on washing ceiling with the shower then I would use low voltage (230).

The sink has no restrictions anyway only bath or shower.

The lights above the sink could potentially be touched by someone with wet hands - (bathroom is in the eaves so under the sloping roof)...they are about 2 meters high ...ignoring the regulations ! they are actually the ones that I consider the dodgiest anyway...

I've been looking to replace just one fitting and seem to be struggling ....
I was hoping to get one that was sealed to stop moisture escape into attic - (they are covered with plasterboard boxes I made to stop draughts etc but thought that would be better) - that isn't an option is it?

And out of interest - am I right in thinking the extra low voltage ones now come with individual transformers on each light? (I thought they use to be one transformer on a circuit...) :?:

The regulations are not law. So you don't have to follow regulations you can use some common sense.
That's strictly true. However, if you do not comply with the ('Wiring') regulations (BS7671), you have to be prepared to find some other way of demonstrating/'proving' that you had complied with Part P of the Building Regulations (which is law), which requires that reasonable provision had been taken to avoid injury etc. Particularly if an incident/injury had occurred, if one had not complied with the 'Wiring Regs' (BS7671), I think one might well struggle to successfully argue that one had complied with the law (Part P of Building Regs).

Kind Regards, John.

I'm in Scotland though - we don't have Part P!
(Although there is something else ...not quite the same I believe - but in general I would go by Part P standards)

And this lighting (in fact the whole bathroom extension) is covered by a 'letter of comfort' from Building control written in 2000
(think it was done before then but that's when the person who did it tried to sell) - not that I would think that counts for much ...
Building control queried the level of insulation and a local builder (who didn't do the work but drank in the same pub as the previous owner ;) ) said it was insulated...Building control could easily see it wasn't but still did the letter - doesn't instil much confidence in me ...

I'm in Scotland though - we don't have Part P!
Ah, I failed to notice that. Beware, you might not be allowed in the 'Electrics UK' forum for much longer :)

... but, seriously, although I know very little about the Scottish system, I would be surprised if it were materially different from what we have here - namely a situation in which virtually everyone uses compliance with the 'Wiring Regs' (BS7671) as the means of demonstrating that they have complied with the law (whatever law, or nationality of law, that might be).

At least in England and Wales, only a very (electrically) knowledgeable and educated person could hope to present a satisfactory argument (e.g. in a court, if it ever got there) that they had complied with the law even though they had not complied with BS7671.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back