Recommend Underfloor Electric Matting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Forum,

I'm in the process of having the kitchen re-tiled and agreed with the builder that it would be feasible to fit underfloor electrical matting.

I'm planning on having two sections:

3m2 for hallyway - stat 1
7m for kitchen - stat 2

I've had a look at some sites and saw a number of different systems: Screwfix- Klima
B&Q - Homelux
Plumbworld - Warmup
Local Tile Shop - they are re-selling Ecofloor

I was hoping if anyone has any recommendations for something reasonably priced or if these tend to be similar in design and operation.

Many Thanks
Mark

Sponsored Links
Warmup for me, every time.

BTW, is this going to be the prime source of heating for those rooms? Generally, underfloor heating isny bad of taking teh chill of the bathroom floor, but you'll need radiators too. Or wear a coat indoors.

Hi,

Thanks for your help.

The plan is to cover the hallway (which has a radiator) and the new kitchen, which the new part is heavily insulated.

Regards
Mark

Sponsored Links
As far as electric goes there are two types. Resistive and chemical. The resistive is further split into two single circuit and multi-circuit.
Single circuit can't be cut.
Resistive gives out the same heat what ever the temperature.
Chemical increases resistance as the temperature raises so are to some extent self regulating also can often be cut to any length.

The chemical idea was first used with trace heating on industrial pipework and this has since been extended to underfloor heating RayChem seem to be market leaders. Although placing furniture on the heating cables will increase the temperature it is far less than with plain resistive wire and within reason you can move furniture without localised overheating.

The hot water system has the edge on all electric systems because of localised overheating.

Major problem with all underfloor heating systems is the temperature has to be much lower than with radiators so one can walk on the floor so the floor covering is really important to be able to transfer the heat into the air. There is a limit and so to work the house needs to be well insulated including use of heat recovery systems to work without the addition of radiators.

As an addition it can work well but as sole form of heating control is a major problem. Floors store heat so on switch on it takes a long time before that heat gets into the room and switch off again it continues to pump out heat well after switch off so in real terms only any good where heating is on 24/7

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back