Reducing height of Inspection Cover

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

We're looking to level some of our sloping garden, and after measuring up, it appears that an inspection cover will end up protruding quite high once the surrounding soil is reduced.

2014-04-10100926_zpsd6574349.jpg

Has anyone any experience of how easy/difficult it is to reduce the height of these things. I'm going to be having a dig around the cover later on to see what's what underneath, but I'd appreciate any input you guys/gals have.

Thanking yawwww.

Sponsored Links
Just had a quick jab around the outside with the spade, and here's what the rest of it looks like....

2014-04-10112610_zps91b5c810.jpg

2014-04-10112632_zps5ffa970c.jpg

2014-04-10112618_zps0f774754.jpg

Is it just a case of buying a shallower (I don't know the name for it) centre bit and reconnecting the pipes to it, or is it possible/advisable to cut it down by a couple of inches and relocate the cover?

Sponsored Links
Does the lip not serve a purpose then?

If I was to cut it, I'd maybe attempt to bond something onto the plastic to replicate the lip.

Raking around on the interweb, I've found you can get inspection chambers (go me, proper name and all lol) with multiple 'lips' on them, presumably you just cut down to the level you need on those.

You can fit the lid with or without the lip.
Having a lip is just a bonus.
Just secure the cover with some concrete haunches around the lid perimeter.

You can fit the lid with or without the lip.
Having a lip is just a bonus.
Just secure the cover with some concrete haunches around the lid perimeter.

That's what I thought, as the lid itself has a slot running around it which fits the chamber anyway. As for the concrete haunches...good thinking Batman, I shall do just that. :D

You obviously don't do any quality work then!

I just hate handsaws man, incident as a youngun to blame for that. Try and use me Mitre and Circ whenever possible....which might seem back to front given the damage you can do with them lol :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back