Gay Marriage

Sponsored Links
There are legal implications of 'marriage' which become relevant when dealing with such things as property, offspring etc. It's not just about a chintzy ceremony and a lifetime of nagging.

But don't the same legal implications and requirements apply to 'civil partnerships'? Why do they want to hijack the term 'marriage'. For centuries, marriage has been defined as the joining of man and wife. Where's the wife?

I wonder whether the 'wife' puff is as adept at nagging as real wives are? :LOL:

Sponsored Links
All legal now.

Does anyone care. I for one couldn't give a monkeys.

Why did they bother though, what was the big breakthrough????

I don't get it.
So why raise the issue?

Are you incapable of forming your own opinion, so you'll wait to gauge the groundswell of opinion, then trot along behind them because you need to be part of a gang?

Or are you just exploring for another minority group to aim your vitriolic hatred at?

Who's next in your line-up of minority groups for the attention of your inferiority complex?

There are legal implications of 'marriage' which become relevant when dealing with such things as property, offspring etc. It's not just about a chintzy ceremony and a lifetime of nagging.

Can you read LMB? :rolleyes:

So what your saying is...The reason gay people fought for the right to a 'proper marriage' is to protect their rights when they break up????

Didn't civil marriage cover the legalities of that.???

The only thing I can put it down to is some kind of equality issue. I don't know the answer.

So why raise the issue?

Are you incapable of forming your own opinion, so you'll wait to gauge the groundswell of opinion, then trot along behind them because you need to be part of a gang?

Or are you just exploring for another minority group to aim your vitriolic hatred at?

Who's next in your line-up of minority groups for the attention of your inferiority complex?

Red, you're a deeply boring man. Shusssh.

Can you read LMB? :rolleyes:

So what your saying is...The reason gay people fought for the right to a 'proper marriage' is to protect their rights when they break up????

Didn't civil marriage cover the legalities of that.???

The only thing I can put it down to is some kind of equality issue. I don't know the answer.

I think it's because, having to do their dirty deeds in secret for many years, they now want everyone to know about them!

I have gay friends who think that marriage is between a man and a woman. (Went to their ceremony earlier this year). They were happy with winning the Civil Partnership argument to tie the knot and if that doesn’t cover any legal rights to inheritance etc. then change the law to suit. I agree that they did not need to hijack the term marriage.

To use my Monty Python analogy again, will they want the right to have a baby next...?

To use my Monty Python analogy again, will they want the right to have a baby next...?
What about those couples that form a gay relationship after having children from a previous relationship?

Should they give the children back perhaps?

Are single parent families or widowed fathers or mothers better prepared to rear children than gay couples?

Mebbe gay couples just want to be able to say we are 'married'. Isn't that what a civil ceremony creates in any case?

Mebbe gay couples just want to be able to say we are 'married'. Isn't that what a civil ceremony creates in any case?
Then why wasn't the civil partnership deemed as such, much the same as a Register Office wedding.

Why would gay couples want to have a pointless, unnecessary, church service?

It is just further pandering to minorities because it seems no one is allowed, these days, to say "Don't be silly; of course not".

I still want to appear at Covent Garden but they won't let me because I can't sing.
This is an affront to my human rights.

Then why wasn't the civil partnership deemed as such, much the same as a Register Office wedding.
I agree.

Why would gay couples want to have a pointless, unnecessary, church service?
For the same reasons straight people do I suppose.

My wife enjoyed it so much she insisted we do it twice! Once in the registry office and then renewed our vows in the church.

Hallelujah!

What about those couples that form a gay relationship after having children from a previous relationship?

Should they give the children back perhaps?
No, of course not and I can’t think of anything more cruel or anyone who would think of doing that.

Are single parent families or widowed fathers or mothers better prepared to rear children than gay couples?
Gay can be every bit as good or better at bringing up kids IMO.

I don’t know any man/woman who’s married that says that word. They always refer to the other half, the better half”, ’er indoors the missus etc. Okay, the last two would have to change to ‘him indoors’ and ‘the mister’ perhaps, but what matters more is the actual commitment and the emotional bond between two people who love each other.

Take me for instance, (no not like that :D ). I’m not married and I wouldn’t want to be married even if Ms Right came into my life tomorrow. So long as we are an item and it’s understood that all other people are off limits in our commitment to each other, that’s good enough.

To use an oft quoted expression, “it’s just a piece of paper”. It has significance but it can be an ex piece of paper in a matter of months these days.

I think the trouble with marriage, like most things, is people like to feel they own things. But they don’t realise that everything is just a loan; including life itself. I guess attaching the word marriage is like a comfort blanket for many.

When people say they are happy in their marriage are they really, actually, saying that without that piece of paper they wouldn’t be as happy or fulfilled? If so, I’d be intrigued to know why or what the threat is without it...

Sponsored Links
Back